89 gt convertible question

junkyardwarrior

Jan 10, 2011
I made a mistake.

I started a new job last year and the owner has a 89 convertible, bone stock, all original 5.0. Dirty inside and out but complete. He wants to get rid of it and I told him I'd take it. Today he's digging it outta the weeds (won't start) and I find out is has no title. So to me, that's a parts car.

What's it worth as is? Dirty inside and out, been sitting for a few years, might need a fuel pump. I had it started last year with carb cleaner down it's throat. Ran good. I wouldn't say it's rough, but it does need attention. Interior and top. original 5 speed.

What's it worth? If anything what's it worth in parts if I have to part it out?

• Sponsors (?)

Owner was a collector, had a half-way museum (though none of the cars were really show quality). Collector if you will. He died. All vehicles were sold off at auction by the family. To my knowledge there IS no title, can probably can't get one at all based on what I know of the family and the way the vehicles were sold/auctioned.

You might be able to get a bonded title but all depends on state laws.

Assuming no title, then to me it is a parts car. Depending on how nice it is, that's a $500-1000 car. I can probably part it out for $2-3K, depending on the condition of the parts on it.

Would help to evaluate the condition of the parts first of course. Things like convertible interior trim is in demand, as well as wiring harnesses. A lot of your value goes out the window if the panels are damaged and cracked, or wiring is cut and stuff like that. If it's intact, then you make out pretty good.

I've filed for lost titles in a couple of different states.

It wasn't a huge deal. They do a history check and make sure it's not stolen and viola.

I don't recall how long it took but it wasn't months or years.

Reactions: 1 user
I've filed for lost titles in a couple of different states.

It wasn't a huge deal. They do a history check and make sure it's not stolen and viola.

I don't recall how long it took but it wasn't months or years.
You forgot about Covid and the Liberal weak suck states.... I just applied for a stolen title for my dodge ( stolen by some " friends" LOL) in Oregon... 17 -20 weeks they told me?/ One would think with all of there DMV offices closed they would have more time for the mail in stuff?? But, who am I to say, just look at what Oregon elects for "leaders".... BAAAAAAAAH

You might be able to get a bonded title but all depends on state laws.

Assuming no title, then to me it is a parts car.
There is a title somewhere for this car.... You need to hope there is an employee at DMV who shows some " taking the extra step" care to help find it.....

You forgot about Covid and the Liberal weak suck states.... I just applied for a stolen title for my dodge ( stolen by some " friends" LOL) in Oregon... 17 -20 weeks they told me?/ One would think with all of there DMV offices closed they would have more time for the mail in stuff?? But, who am I to say, just look at what Oregon elects for "leaders".... BAAAAAAAAH
Let's leave politics out of this car forum.
You're not even in Oregon