89 GT Convertible questions

Fatherandson5.0

Apr 14, 2004
What kind of times does a stock 1989 GT convertible with a manual run in the 1/4 mile and 0-60. My dillema here is that I have one stock and want to start modifying it lightly or enough to beat some of these guys around here racing around in civics, eclipses, and other import cars. I know that the convertible is considerably heavier that the hatchback and lx models so I need to know what I'm working with here in the beginning. So far I'm pretty much looking at the basics being headers, cat back, h pipe. Short throw shifter for control getting some lighter wheels. Eventually when I save up getting some differents heads and changing the intake but that will be at least two years before i can do that until then just the basics. I prefer to stay away from a supercharger I just don't have that cash at the moment. Basically I want to have a lightly modified car that is capable of winning some redlight to redlight races and to cruise around in. Help me out. Oh yeah and gears?

• Sponsors (?)

they run about 14.7 in 1/4 (depending on driver and car), don't know 0-60, def. go with gears (3.73 w/ manual) and get exhaust and u/d pulleys. Don't believe what everyone says, vert's aren't too much heavier than a coupe or hatchback, not a significant amount. You could prob. beat 90% of the imports with a stock 5.0. :D

My pony was not too fast off the line. What mods I made seemed to make no difference, the little *** cars got off the line much better. Once I got the new gears in my vert, I was able to keep the ricers behind me. I have an auto and do some highway travel, so went with the 3.73s. The most bang for your bucks, in my humble opinion.