Interior and Upholstery 89 GT Vert Door card suggestions

gearhead77

Mar 13, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
I was finally able to open the passenger door on my 89 GT convertible after fighting with a completely frozen door lock actuator from the inside. One plus of a convertible is more working space, just lower the top! Much easier to remove the passenger seat to access door card on the door you can't open with the top down.

Good news: No rust, no sagging hinges (it had sat for a decade).
Bad news: The door card is completely rotted by the speaker and most of the front half of the card. The carpet and vinyl are in good shape though.

I'm not going for a concours resto here, so dropping $500 on totally new door cards is not worth it. If they were totally shot ( bad vinyl, carpet,etc.) I'd consider it. I see the parts are available from various resto houses for about $100 for both doors.

Tips, tricks to doing this job? Any other sources I haven't considered? Being a convertible, the tutone door cards are not as easy to find in white/blue, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I used the wood they use for underlayment from Lowes. Its like really thin plywood. The upper metal part of the door swapped over to the plywood lower section. I drilled holes and notched them to accept the door clips. Was actually a very easy process with an electric jig saw and the pattern traced out. Before putting the panel back on the door cut a contractors trash bag and use some window sealer ( black sticky stuff in a roll at local parts store ) and stick it to the door. It'll be a moisture barrier....thats if your original is torn up.

Used 3m spray adhesive and glued the vinyl on the new door piece.

Also...the top metal piece can be left intact with the window swipe weatherstrip. The vinyl doesnt cave to come off that piece.

My little jig saw paid for itself that day.