89 LX stall out and strange idle

Am having an issue with my 89 LX as of lately its been stalling out after about a minute of idle starts of good then slowly starts sounding like its being chocked then right before shutting the exhaust smells really strong like raw gas and smog this morning also heard a winning noise coming from the back (fuel pump maybe?) I assumed it was a misfire because the motor vibrates a little. Gonna switch out the spark plugs and then the wires , but wondering if anyone would have an idea of what it might be any imput greatly appreciated am a new and slowly learning.

• Sponsors (?)

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=698148
The link is to a checklist that should help you find the problem(s), do it step by step, don't skip around. I'd read it through first to get an understanding and a chance to gather the necessary tools. I say this since you say you're a novice. If you get stuck just ask here and the members will be glad to help you out.

• Happy
Reactions: 1 user
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=698148
The link is to a checklist that should help you find the problem(s), do it step by step, don't skip around. I'd read it through first to get an understanding and a chance to gather the necessary tools. I say this since you say you're a novice. If you get stuck just ask here and the members will be glad to help you out.

Thank you so much! Greatly appreciated

All symptoms indicate fuel problem, not ignition. Forget the plugs & wires.
All symptoms indicate fuel problem, not ignition. Forget the plugs & wires.

Could it be the pump going out or maybe not being able to keep up? But I don't think its modded to that point but then again I am new to it wouldn't know it, the wining nois I hear gotta be the pump them?

When you turn the key to on the pump should run for a few seconds, like 2 seconds, then stop. If it continues to run you have a problem. It could be that the hose between the pump and the nipple exiting the tank has split, common occurrence, or the pump just can 't build pressure do to age, time to check your fuel pressure. Also pull the vacuum line off the regulator and sniff for gas, may be a bad regulator but my money is on the pump. As always don't take a key-board hack like myself as gospel, test befor replace, saves money and time

When you turn the key to on the pump should run for a few seconds, like 2 seconds, then stop. If it continues to run you have a problem. It could be that the hose between the pump and the nipple exiting the tank has split, common occurrence, or the pump just can 't build pressure do to age, time to check your fuel pressure. Also pull the vacuum line off the regulator and sniff for gas, may be a bad regulator but my money is on the pump. As always don't take a key-board hack like myself as gospel, test befor replace, saves money and time
Ill most likely replace one by one i figuer it will end up happening eventually so might as well do it now, also would love to any chance I get to tinker with and learn new things with the car am planning on owning it for life and picking up a few more so best I start my hands on edumication lol

Could it be the pump going out or maybe not being able to keep up? But I don't think its modded to that point but then again I am new to it wouldn't know it, the wining nois I hear gotta be the pump them?
30 year old pump? It's shot!
OEM size was 88 lph, which I think they've upsized to something around 100. If engine is stock or near stock, replace with 155 lph to give you some reserve for any basic mods. Just don't go too big which causes other issues. Almost all in-tank pumps for all cars of any make are made by Walbro. All are about $100.