89 Saleen Cam/heads Advice

utemachine

Nov 7, 2015
I have an 89 Saleen and need some guidance on cam and heads. Let me give you the download. The car is a weekend driver and my goal is to have fun cruising it. I’ll never drag it other than at a stop light, and want reliable power. I don’t care about gas mileage but want it to pass smog.

Current Mods:
3:55 rear end, bbk shorties, bbk high flow cats, flowmasters, CAI, pro comp intake manifold.

Buying Now:
Cam, heads, GT40 tubular intake manifold, throttle body

Future:
Custom tune after all mods are done

On the heads I have been looking at some rebuilt GT40 heads on eBay. 87-93-95 Ford Mustang GT40P Engine Cylinder Heads REBUILT 302 351 GT40 SBF OEM https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183077755613

What kind of cam would you recommend, is this a good set up, is there anything I’m missing?

Attachments

• D9C2DFBE-E980-42D2-B569-4468CF8BAC53.jpeg
    D9C2DFBE-E980-42D2-B569-4468CF8BAC53.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Sponsors (?)

At over $800 shipped for GT40 heads, I'd just add a few hundred more and get a set of TFS 170s. They have the provisions to be smog compliant on them as well.

Do you actually need to pass a sniff test?

Those heads (or the 58cc versions) would work. Check summit racing as they usually have good pricing as well.

Cam really should be the last thing you pick to tie the entire combo together. For not that much more, you can just go custom grind.

I'm doing a similar combo with similar goals. Just a reliable street cruiser with more than stock power.

I'm doing:
TFS170s (58cc versions)
Explorer intake with ported lower
Crane gold 1.6 RRs
75mm egr spacer
70mm TB
30#injectors (24s prob would have been fine)
Still need to get a MAF

Camshaft is unknown at this point but once I have all my parts I'll probably do a custom grind. Having a setup that can idle reliably in traffic is more important to me than getting every last HP I can for a car I'll never take to the strip anymore.

Unsure how that combo would pass a sniff test here. In MA, while emmissions stuff needs to be retained, we don actually have to pass a snifffer test.

I would if your budget allows. Those sort of things can be swapped later on as budget allows but I'd change them prior to any sort of tune.

You can probably run the 19s but you'd be at their limIt.

Over a week and no reply from FTI. There is a local cam builder in Denver called Cam Research. I reached out to them today. If not them I’m going with TFR 170 heads and TFR stage 1 cam.

Sorry guys - was at the NMRA Spring Break Shoot Out with Darin Hendricks and "The Cobra" Coyote Stocker.

Emails are being caught up through the night.

Oh and yes, we did reset our own record so that's three seasons in a row the Coyote Stock record is ours.

Reactions: 2 users