9" GURU wanted! no **** please!

WORTH

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Cape Cod, Ma.
you could save me pulling 2 9"ers apart if anyone knows what splines are on

70 mustang 9 and an 84 bronco 9

I'd like to swap the chucks, it would be great if somebody has the info in advance,, thanx, Worth

• Sponsors (?)

Most all of the cars are 28 spline with the exception of a those with High performance engine/transmission options. Trucks could be 28 or 31, but I suspect a 79 would also be a 28 spline.

I have heard that the outside ends of the axles, right near the center, have 3 dots cast in if the axles are 31 spline.
Worth a look.
The Stang more than likely has 28. The truck could go either way... so I would check the truck first.
Worst case, pull the chunk from the truck. It doesn't take much when you get the process down.
Good luck
Dave

Edit:
Houston... We have a problem!
Wasn't 81 the last year for the 9" rear?
I thought they went 8.8 in everything after 82, correct me if I am wrong...

ratio411 said:
I have heard that the outside ends of the axles, right near the center, have 3 dots cast in if the axles are 31 spline.
Worth a look.
The Stang more than likely has 28. The truck could go either way... so I would check the truck first.
Worst case, pull the chunk from the truck. It doesn't take much when you get the process down.
Good luck
Dave

Edit:
Houston... We have a problem!
Wasn't 81 the last year for the 9" rear?
I thought they went 8.8 in everything after 82, correct me if I am wrong...

I'll look tonight, she's on stands in my home shop so it'll be an easy pull :D Thanx

Almost positive that the Bronco will be a 31 spline. Very doubtful your Mustang is though. Check out mustangsteve.com or ultrastang.com. The have a 9 inch rearend info section that will probably give you the answer.