'91 5 lug conversion

p51302

Mar 17, 2004
San Diego
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of researching moving from 4 lug to 5 lug. Please tell me if you agree, but I feel that moving to a 5 lug allows me to get better brakes all round, like baers. Is this true? If not, please tell me the kit.

If you agree that 5 lug is the way to go, what is the best kit?

Thanks in advance,
p51302

• Sponsors (?)

p51,
do a search, (not saying it to be rude) , but there's been about a million 5 lug threads, and there's a dozen kits to do it, depending on your budget.
Or pick up a 5.0 or Muscle mustangs and Fast Fords, the pages are full of ads for huge brakes and 5 lugs.
5 lug allows for better brakes and better rims.

You're right

Stanger,

You're right. There are a ton of articles, but I wanted to hear from people who have actually installed them and had to purchase wheels for them. From the articles I've read, they really don't cover any of the drivability issues.

Thanks for the reply,
p51302

Well I can't think of one negative thing to say about 5 lugs or big brakes. Nearly every rim that fits a 94+ mustang will fit on a fox body. My wheels are 0ff of a 95 saleen.

There is no driveability issues, you brake better, and you have nicer rims. Keep in mind big brakes cost big money. You can convert to five lug for under $400 bucks + the rims and tires. If you don't alter the brakes themselves.

Here's a thread i made about it, to link people to, because i was getting alot of pm's.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=443218

If you want baer brakes, then just stay 4-lug. They sell 4-lug brakes just as good as their 5-lug brakes. The only reason most people upgrade to 5-lug is because they want to use SN95 wheels, or like the look of 5-lug on a certain type of wheel. I did it because i wanted 17" rims, and better brakes. All my braking/wheels etc... are OEM parts i can get over the couter at any parts store. Which makes it cheaper for me....plus I do autocrossing, and good brakes are needed to go fast.

Ask yourself what you want to do with the car, then choose a wheel, and go from there.