• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

92 5.0 Trans Swap

  • Thread starter Thread starter dspratt5oh
  • Start date Start date Apr 29, 2015
D

dspratt5oh

New Member
Apr 29, 2015
1
0
1
Apr 29, 2015
#1
  • Apr 29, 2015
  • #1
Bought a 92' 5.0 recently. Got a pretty good deal and it came with a "rebuilt" T5 along with the one that's junk in the car. Hes proof it was rebuilt .... I quote .. "well its got fresh rtv around the cover" so needless to say I cracked it open. Mind you .. I've never done ANY internal trans work. However I have been a mechanic in the Army for 5 1\2 years. So I've got a pretty good working knowledge on a typical trans And plan to do the work myself. I've got a few questions



1, Judging by the pic .. I can assume I need to replace second gear, thoughts?

2, If I have to replace second gear completely do I also need a new counter shaft gear? Or is the wear pattern really an issue?

3, if I'm tearing down this main shaft, what should I replace purely as a safety precaution and what would be ideal?

4, A good rebuild kit you recommend?

I bought this car as a running project as a present for myself for finally getting out of the Army. I have many more plans for the car ie. 331 stroker swap, racing trans, new rear end, all new adjustable suspension/. the whole nine yards
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
210
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
C
C4 trans help needed
  • CPH89LX
  • Apr 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
291
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 28, 2026
CPH89LX
C
C
Drivetrain T-5 transmission issue
  • Ch3No2
  • Jul 11, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
442
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2025
2000xp8
F
Electrical Foxbody wiring harness 2.3 to v8 swap
  • Foxbodyjake
  • Mar 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
26
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 7, 2026
Kleinjj27
K
C
Engine Idle cuts out
  • claypoolxx
  • Mar 7, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
25
Views
989
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 24, 2026
alutwon
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?