92 Fox Aod Sloppy In 4th Gear

EZE183

May 17, 2006
Hi-
I was hoping for some advise. I've found a few post with my exact problem but they never same up with a solution.

My 92' notch AOD w/firm shift kit (unknown) has a heavy amount of slop while decelerating or slight throttle while cruising especially in overdrive more noticeable at low speeds. For example while letting off the gas for a stop light while I'm in OD it slap and clank back and forth until it drops to 3rd gear. To avoid it I've been manually dropping it to 3rd.

I'm not sure if I'm checking the axle slop correctly but with the aod in neutral I've tried to move the axle back and forth with just minimal play maybe an 1/8". I'm not hearing a whine from the differentials. I thought it was control arms bushing rotted so I swapped originals for Stedda aluminum pieces upper and lower and the original bushings were very bad but it didn't fix my problem. I inspected my U-joints and they look good and no play. Someone advised it could be my trac-loc LSD clutch pack has failed some how? I don't know but I burn two wheels no problem. Someone else said a bad stall converter could do that.
When I bought the car I was told it may have a 3000 stall converter he wasn't sure cause the original owner passed away. I'm not sure how to use it...I hold the brakes firmly and press the gas and rear tires will start to break free at like 2000 or less rpms. Anyways anyone have any ideas.
Erik

• Sponsors (?)