92 GT, Loud screeching noise from engine then engine dies

boston9

May 14, 2011
So this week/weekend has been horrible for my GT. On top of a huge amount of electrical problems I've sorted out this comes. A little history, the car just rolled over to 72k miles. The engine is all stock. I have been driving it all day. About an hour ago before/after I stopped it and got fuel I hear this tapping, almost like valve tap but much louder. I think okay something is loose. I went through pulley and they're all tight as I thought thats where the sound was coming from. I go out just now to start the car and this loud screeching noise happens and the car dies. It has enough oil. I don't know what it could be. And when I say loud I mean my neighbors about half a mile away could hear it, sounded like metal on metal contact. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Does it have the air pump? Mine did that twice and it was the air pump that seized up. Killed the motor both times unless I kept reving it, then the belt started to smoke. Hopefully that is it, and not something internal.

Sure, that will work. Is everything else stock on the front of the motor? use this chart to route the belt and get the right size. Note that you route it differently around the water pump and crank with a shorter belt to bypass the air pump. Dang the air pumps have gone up a bit in price, around $86. I paid like $45 for my air pump.

beltrouting.jpg

Sure, that will work. Is everything else stock on the front of the motor? use this chart to route the belt and get the right size. Note that you route it differently around the water pump and crank with a shorter belt to bypass the air pump. Dang the air pumps have gone up a bit in price, around $86. I paid like $45 for my air pump.

beltrouting.jpg

I used this same one that was on Corral! It worked fine. I'm going to just be getting an eliminator pulley, $75, plus $1 for bolts why not. The price my shop just gave me on an air pump was $125. Thanks for all the input!

You don't need the pulley if you go with the shorter belt. Just pull off the pump and whatever else you don't need that is attached to it. I still have to run mine for emissions testing. The only issue could be possible converter damage if your car is running rich as there would not be any extra air in the exhaust, but that does not bother most people.

You don't need the pulley if you go with the shorter belt. Just pull off the pump and whatever else you don't need that is attached to it. I still have to run mine for emissions testing. The only issue could be possible converter damage if your car is running rich as there would not be any extra air in the exhaust, but that does not bother most people.

I'm picking up my O/R H this weekend, so I guess all I have to do is plug the holes right?