92 Mustang aluminum heads verus cam and valve spring tension

Heads up- Just bought 92 Mustang that previous owner put studded aluminum TFS heads on which had a special made cam Em2 5537 that cam profile had to be found thru machine shop. Any one know who might have made this cam? Checked out majors-no luck. Cast number on back was a big 3 14062. Both intake and exhaust had same lift and it was only a 525 lift cam. Also; it had DSS Racing pistons-2030-030 of which valve spring tension was too much for single profile cam so engine dropped #7 intake valve. Engine turned off so no damage to block but valve head wedged into top of piston. Valve spring broke under normal driving; no racing. Parts were all new and still looked the same except for damage. Parts had P T stamped on some of engine parts to ID. DSS says piston design old 10/15 years with offset crazy eight design pattern.
LESSON HERE to Learn-never buy complete assembled heads unless cam profile and valve spring tension are checked and compatible with each other. Be sure supplier knows cam profile before hand. Too much or too little will cause above problem. Repaired head with 2 new seats, 2 valves, Comp 914-16 springs with new roller lifter and TFS 1,6 blue rocker arm. Use better valve locks Comp 648-16 verus normal green 7% ones. Had to remove same good piston to get correct weight 716 grams made so DSS could make correct designed piston. Canton large oil pan made it necessary to pull engine and A/T trans. Found one converter stud missing off balanced flywheel which explains slight vibration felt.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

So,.....what's the lesson here?
That you shouldn't buy used stuff, or you shouldn't buy used stuff, and run it w/o checking it out first?
People buy used stuff here everyday that works perfectly. I don't know about you, but before I'd slap a set of heads on an engine, I'd want to make sure myself that the springs were compatible.
From your story it looks like the whole engine, and not just the heads were grey areas for you...you found out about the cam, and Pistons after the valve failure, so your message should be
LESSON HERE don't automatically assume that a bunch of hodgepodged stuff is gonna work together w/o checking it all out first.

Reactions: 1 user