'92 Rear Disc Brakes

Recently bought a '92 LX convertible. It has rear disc brakes that the PO claimed were factory installed. I ran a Marti report on it and it says nothing about rear disc brakes.

Did Ford install factory rear disc brakes on any Fox Mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

Recently bought a '92 LX convertible. It has rear disc brakes that the PO claimed were factory installed. I ran a Marti report on it and it says nothing about rear disc brakes.

Did Ford install factory rear disc brakes on any Fox Mustang?

The 93 Cobra had them, the axles were 3/4" longer per side and 4 lug. It was basically the 87-88 T-bird Turbo Coupe rear axle with shorter mounts for the quad shock absorbers.
The clue is that the rear disks were vented, as opposed to the solid rear disks in 94 and later Mustangs.

If you have 5 lugs and solid rear disks, the axle and brakes are from a 94-98 Mustang.

Only '92 Saleens had disk brakes, and they used 1992 Lincoln Mark 7 rear disks to do so.

Some pics would help us ID what has been installed on your car since it left the factory with Drum brakes out back

I've never seen an LX that came with rear brakes as OEM spec.

Yours are likely a retrofit or aftermarket kit unless there was some little know build option that could be ordered on an LX that would get you rear disc brakes.

Unlikely, but possible......OEM's are great at hiding ordering options that aren't "mainstream"....

Here's some pics.
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG

87-88 Thunderbird turbo coupe / 1993 Cobra rear disk brakes.

VERY popular retrofit, and a few vendors packaged kits for these (SSBC was one).

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-2552APR/1993-Cobra-Rear-Caliper-Pair

If the conversion was done correctly, a 1" bore MC and a larger booster should be in the engine bay. A closer look at the MC might reveal some adapters used for the brake lines to swap from the OEM MC.

Hopefully, they didn't leave the OEM MC in the car..if so you'd have soft brakes