93 cobra motor ?

drewzx3

Feb 7, 2004
Louisiana
I know someone with a motor out of a 93 cobra that has just been rebuilt and they are planning on selling it. Can you put the 93 cobra motor in my car and still use the aode? If you can what computer will be needed?

yea nothing really special about it, you might be better off rebuilding yours if it needs a rebuild and getting a nice set of heads, cam, intake, etc.

how much does he want thats what will help us put our input in on it, unless your allready set on it.

drewzx3 said:
He's asking $1000 for it and the only thing done to it is an E cam. How much does itusually run to have one rebuilt?
dizzamn!!! id say throw on another 7-800 to that and get h/c/i. U can start off with the TFS street heat intake i have sittin in my garage!!! LOL 225+shipping!

blake89stang said:
dizzamn!!! id say throw on another 7-800 to that and get h/c/i. U can start off with the TFS street heat intake i have sittin in my garage!!! LOL 225+shipping!

1 - There is no way a quality HCI build can be done for 17-1800 and make enough power to justify the cost.

2 - A 1993 Cobra has forged pistons making it better for power adders, most notably a NOS.

3 - 1000 bones isn't that bad for a rebuilt and cammed longblock

4 - You would want to switch to a Fox A9L computer for two reasons. A - splicing all those connectors would be take tons and tons of time and be a major PITA, and B - The e-cam is notorious for causing crappy idle with an SN95 computer... the A9L is much more basic and can handle the e-cam with more success. Unless you plan on getting a tune, either self or pro.

Personally I wouldn't do it. The 1993 Cobra put out 235 hp and 280 trq, and the reason its 1/4 times seem better is because the fox is that much lighter. The sn95 poutout 215 hp and 285 trq and ran about 3 tenths slower in the 1/4.

Adam

Why would you have to do this?

Couldn't you use the SN95 accessories, harnesses, injectors, ect on the fox block?

Swarzkopf said:
Why would you have to do this?

Couldn't you use the SN95 accessories, harnesses, injectors, ect on the fox block?

You wouldn't have to. You'd want to. I also think that you'd need to switch to a fox style TB because there is no adapter elbow for the 93 cobra intake... rio 5.0 used to run a 93 cobra, he had lots of issues making it work, dig up that thread if you want to check it out.

Adam

Yeah im using a fox block right now. I had to change the timing cover, water pump, all accessories, and bell housing. I also changed teh oil pump, and things like that too. I dont know about electrical connections yet, Though im hoping they just pop in...

The 1993 Cobra put out 235 hp and 280 trq, and the reason its 1/4 times seem better is because the fox is that much lighter.

They also have GT-40 heads, 24lb injectors, larger MAF i believe, computer programmed for it, and another thing or two. Foxes had forged flattops until they went hyper in 92. Most 93 cobras put down around 225-245 rwhp. Ask some of the other fox guys, theyll tell ya. I would DEF buy it for a grand.

You're telling me a 93 Cobra was 260-280 horse at the fly? And ford underrated the engine by up to 45 horse?? That seems unlikely to me.

If the pistons aren't forged then I would seriously reconsider buying the motor.

adam

89white50 is pretty much on track. That was the age of playing with numbers (like how the late 5.0L foxes lost ponies on paper just to appease the upcoming 94 model). The fox snake was definately underrated by a nice little bit.

I would not buy the thing. If i was in his positon i would bore his block to 306 and put forged pistons in it.

93 cobras were underrated at 235, Early runs I believe the sept - dec 92 runs had forged pistons, all 93 runs were hyper. The TB is a 65mm and the maf is a 70mm (not 100% sure on the maf) #24 inj. and most of the accesories are different, also they had a clutch fan not the electric like the 94 - 95's, cut the clutch fan alone and you'll gain 10 - 15 hp right there.

Now the question at hand, its just about the same as what you have unless it's one of them that has the forged pistons... if it has the forged ones it might be worth it, (I would not buy it) I personally would just rebuild the one I have the way I want it...

OMG, please disreguard most of the posts in this thread.

the engine is a direct boltin. pull your motor out and bolt your accessories back in. is it coming with the cobra intake? if so you can switch to a fox tb setup and i can tell you how, if not, you will want an intake manifold or the whole swap is pointless cause you will choke it off with your stock intake.

The stock accessories and brackets and computer are fine. The ecam will want the idle raised up so it will idle. You may wish to have this problem adressed with a custom chip. I would get the car dynotuned no matter what.

I would also get a pro m 77 or 80 maf calibrated for 24s if you are getting the intake.

you will use your stock fuel rails. they flow more and line up with your lines.

If you are not going to get a chip burned, you can tune the old fasshioned way like me, you need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. start out with 14 degrees of timing. and put it on a dyno to set fuel pressure where you need it to reach your target a/f 12.8-13.2

find out what parts they rebuilt with.

I see you have an AODE you are definitely going to need to stall your car with that cam and gear it

your stock stall and gears arent gonna cut it with the Ecam

your car is gong to be slower off the line and actuallyfeel way slower driving around in the lower rppms

If your shortblock is in fine condition i say definitely PASS on this motor.

there are far better cams than the ecam, and far better routes. it may seem like a good deal at 1000 but you might be getting yourself into alot more by doing this.

What amount do you actually have to spend and what are your goals for the car, perhaps a few of us can help you with some better choices.