94 GT Electric Fan question...

StangAlang0811

Apr 24, 2009
I have a 94 GT and I was wondering. Isnt the electric fan suppose to kick on whenever you turn on the A/C?

I notice the fan doesnt come on until its 3/4 the way up on the gauge sometimes more when scares me. Every other vehicle I had the fan would stay running if the A/C was running, is the GT the same way?

The car kinda surges whenever the fan does come on, thinking maybe I should replace it because tonight for the first time it never came on and it got almost to the red and freaked me out. I drove it to let the air cool it, then I stopped to let it warm up to where it should kick on, I tapped the fan a few times and it didnt come on, yet. Then I havent had a problem again.

Just wanted to let you know why I was starting to have concerns, its right around spring/summer and I bought this car in the winter, havent had any issues yet but I do a lot of car shows and cruises and dont wanna have any freak accidents.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the fan has two speeds and when the a/c is turned on the high speed should come on. The high speed fan should also come on when the coolant temp reaches something like 220*

also, i checked the low speed fuse under the hood, im not getting any power coming out of the fuse yet the fuse is indeed good.. Im assuming the relay goes to the fuse box then fuse box to fan. Where is the relay located for low speed? Or could motor be bad?

being ur stang is 94 it might not imply

"1995 Mustang w/3.8-liter or 5.0-liter engines: The engine-cooling-fan bearing can seize. Excessive heat may be generated, melting the fan-motor electrical connector, and possibly causing fan-motor components to ignite."

this happen to me and melted the connecter.. i replaced with aftermarket crap.. had to go back with a OEM fan.. the stock fan is a beast at cooling.. just wanted to throw that out there for thought

The fan relays are located in the CCRM modual which is the small black box on the bracket that holds the coolant overflow bottle and has a big black/blue wiring plug screwed into the side. The CCRM contains a few relays like fuel pump, low/high fans, a/c, and I think EEC. Do a search in this forum, there was a big post about it a few months back that has a lot of info and pics.