94 Mustang GT Hesitation (I believe...)

odiusXpopulis

Oct 19, 2006
Hey everyone, I apologize my first post is a question but I suppose it's a start.

I'm looking at buying a 1994 Mustang GT however today when I went to test drive it, it would take off fine from say light to light but if you stomp on it,it stops revving at around 2200 RMP and seems to lose power (horsepower not battery power). I searched for something along these lines but couldn't seem to find something that was "exactly" like this.

He said that a tune up should fix it as well as another friend of mine but I figure I would leave it to a large group of people.

Thanks!

//edit
The check engine light isn't on. He said something about the injectors but everyone else disagrees with him and says it could be the timing. It does not smoke or anything. Drives rather well so long as you don't stomp on it.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome!

There are myriad issues which could cause this. Chances are decent that it's ignition or MAF related, but more info would allow more insight.

I'd offer a good bit less to accomodate a worst case fix (if the seller balks and suggests it's a cheap fix, I'd reply with saying that he can pay to fix it himself).

Good luck!

I agree with with Hissn50.

If I were to sell a stang, I'd make sure things like a tune-up and oil change were done and also make sure all the fluids are topped off. Why give someone a reason NOT to buy the car? If the car doesn't drive well under full throttle (not beating on it mind you), the owner should have known that.

Used cars are going to come with some hidden problems and sellers don't want to pay out a lot of $$$ to fix up a used car. Maybe the car is for sale cause the owner needs the money in a bad way.

If you still want the car, offer a lesser price since you've got to fix obvious problems. A tune-up and cleaning of the MAF sensor may do the trick, but maybe not. Maybe have a trusted shop look at it, if the owner will let you.

Good luck.