94 Mustang GT HID Conversion Kit Anti-Lock Brake Light

GeorgeM69M94

May 6, 2009
Hello, I installed a German mfg HID conversion kit in my 94 GT. Installation was a snap. Problem is when I turn on the headlights on the Anti-Lock Brakes light comes on and stays on until I turn the car off and restart without the headlights on. I had no other issues with the anti-lock brakes prior to this. Searching the web states some HID kits can interfere with electronics and ABS. I have the ballasts installed right behind the headlights, not near any computer modules, I think? 94 Mustang GT, 30K Miles. Thanks for any input or ideas.

• Sponsors (?)

How did you wire the ballasts? Did you tap into factory wiring near the headlight area? Reason I ask is because the ABS collision sensors are in the same location as the headlamps. It's possible you tapped into a wire for the ABS system and the fluctuation in power when you turn the HID's on causes the system to fault out.

I'd review how you have it wired up and what wires you are tapping into. Ideally you should be running direct power off the battery or coil to the ballasts and using a relay tapped into the headlight low beams to turn the relays on. There are 9007 male plugs on ebay cheap to allow you to wire this up real clean so you can remove the kit when you realize you are blinding everyone else on the road with glare :)

Thanks for the reply. I have them wired into the original 9007 connector, no splicing, a male connector in place of the original 9007 bulb was part of the kit. And I have re-aimed the headlights to minimize the blinding effect :). I have tinted headlights so that helps too. Any other ideas?

Disconnect one at a time, and turn your headlights on and see if the problem disappears.

See if it only happens with one side connected, or with both disconnected

Just tried that (on my lunch break). Left disconnected, light on; right disconnected, light on; both disconnected, light off. And, if I leave the headlights on, turn the car off and restart the ABS light goes off. And I have a brand new battery installed which has been tested.