Forced Induction 94 Mustang turbo suggestion

LZSN95

Apr 8, 2018
I'm looking for turbo kit suggestions from you guys. I'm looking for a kit that will allow me to keep all my accessories minus the smog pump. I know on3performance makes one but they are out of stock and won't have them back in until around January or February. B&G is another one but I dont know much about them as far as fitment goes, I guess I could call them, there kit I $2800 though. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard good things about BG quality and durability, which I'd expect for the price, though their website says: "Turbo Kits are made as your order comes in please call about wait times. We are currently way behind on all B&G Kits." I've also read some ancient posts that say you have to delete A/C for BG. That may have changed since then.

I have a Boost Brothers kit, they went out of business several years ago. On3 is the gold standard for budget kits - not sure if they're just temporarily out of stock or if they're no longer committed to it (i.e. will it ever really come back into stock?). Not sure that's helpful at all, probably more depressing.

The reality is that it might be getting hard to find 94-95 parts / kits. ~25 year old cars now, and the 5.0HO available for just 2 years in this platform. I don't imagine there's a huge market for performance parts any longer. We might need to think about shoe-horning Fox parts in (with substantial modification) or custom builds ($$$). Even with kits, something ends up needing to be modified.

If I had to do it myself today, I'd source the hot-side parts for a fox, have a muffler shop make-modify what's missing or doesn't fit (y-pipe / downpipe), and build the cold-side myself with a generic kit, that part's not too hard honestly. I built a custom turbo setup on my Mustang II, talk about no performance stuff being available and everything requiring modification.

There's always supercharger kits, at least while they're still making a few of those, though many are discontinued as well. Hopefully someone else will have a more upbeat answer.

Just when I thought no one was going to respond hahah. Yeah I was wondering the same thing about the on3 kit (if it really will come back). When I called them I asked them if they were discontinuing it because it didnt sell well because it was only produced for two years and they told me it sells pretty well and it would be back around January or February. I asked them if it would still be the same price since they're redesigning it and they said it should be. Any way that's a long time to wait. I contacted B&G today, I'm just waiting to hear back. Yeah I definitely have thought about retrofitting fox stuff or just building my own which probably would take me a long time since I dont possess the welding skills. I could tac everything and then take it somewhere to have them weld it. I recently started exploring the idea of a supercharger. The only thing I dont like about the SC is the belt on the crank but I may be getting over that fear if the turbo doesn't happen. I am pretty set on a turbo though but the SC would be a nice fall back plan.

I hear you, when you want a turbo a supercharger just isn't the same. :) I hope they truly do start making the kits again, I noticed that some of their re-sellers (American Muscle, LMR) don't list the kit any longer either so that made me skeptical (though it may just be because on3 has it out of stock, or maybe they know something we don't). Anyways I got curious from your question and did some brief research, seems like a lot of folks think the fox kit will work with some amount of minor tweaking - no specifics. Maybe on3 could help answer that question.

My no-longer-available-anywhere kit required all kinds of tweaking when I installed it - from trimming the radiator core support to relocating the ABS box and grinding off the air pump mounts, bending A/C lines to clear, fabricating drop-mounts for the sway bar, and all kinds of other stuff I can barely remember. There's nothing like a turbo but I'm not sure I've ever come across one that was just a trouble-free bolt-on. Superchargers are an easy weekend bolt-on, so they have that benefit.

Either way, best of luck in your search, if you find out something interesting let us know. Waiting a few months doesn't sound like a big deal (it's already August where did the summer go?) and a Fox kit sounds like it could be made to work. The extra effort will just make the screaming boosted horsepower all the sweeter.

Reactions: 1 user