Progress Thread 95 5.0 first timer

What's up guys! Had a fairly productive day today working on the mustang. First thing this morning I ran to auto zone and grabbed some of that gasket tack and some more black rtv. Started of putting on the valve covers and getting the exhaust manifold bolted back on.
20200423_145857.jpg

Then I moved on to the lower intake manifold
20200423_175455.jpg

Next was the water pump, heater tubes, and injectors
20200423_184939.jpg

I think tomorrow I'm gonna go ahead and change the oil filter then put my accessory brackets back on. Then run wiring harness's and work on the upper intake manifold and vacuum lines. I can see it coming together and I'm getting excited

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Lookin good.

I don’t know how many times you’ve done intake manifolds, but make sure you go over the final torque sequence over and over again until nothing moves anymore. You would be surprised how many passes it takes before everything settles and the bolts stay tight. Usually it’s like a half dozen times.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Lookin good.

I don’t know how many times you’ve done intake manifolds, but make sure you go over the final torque sequence over and over again until nothing moves anymore. You would be surprised how many passes it takes before everything settles and the bolts stay tight. Usually it’s like a half dozen times.

Well I've never done one before. But did I go through the torque sequence till they all clicked... took about 3 or 4 times I think. Hopefully it doesnt leak, I used that gasket tack on the heads and manifold and rtv in the corners and under and on top of the rubber end seals. Guess we will see what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Well guys another day down. Put a pretty good dent in it today. Started the morning off getting an oil filter and some vacuum hose. Also picked up a 3 gauge set with water temp/voltage/oil pressure. Got the gauges hooked up and the drivers side injector harness ran, then the power steering and ac bracket got put on.
20200424_172549.jpg
20200424_173623.jpg

Then I moved on to the other accessory bracket and the heater hoses, along with the passenger side injector harness. Upper intake was next along with the throttle body and a bunch of other little crap here and there.
20200424_191437.jpg

So far I'm liking it. Let me know what you guys think.

Reactions: 5 users
What's up everyone. So today didnt seem near as productive, although I did get alot of little things done. I also got my alternator cleaned up and installed along with my el cheapo intake and the throttle cables.
20200425_175827.jpg

Since a storm rolled in I took the time to clean up the distributor and paint the base. After the storm passed I installed the distributor and plug wires.
20200425_200113.jpg

Tomorrow I need to get plugs, a new dist. hold down(I lost it somewhere), and a shorter belt (deleted smog). Tomorrow I will work on the accessories and get my fan put back in. Also need to pull the fender and finish vacuum line to the charcoal canister and put the filter on the intake. Hoping I can try fire it up tomorrow night.

Hey guys, so after searching around town today I failed to find a distributor hold down clamp. So I went ahead and ordered one today from American muscle, should be here the 29th. I also picked up a belt but it was a little too long. Think I'm gonna go with like 89.5, the one I got is 90.5. But I did finish up my accessories and got my fan and everything put back in. I forgot a new coil wire but it doesnt really need it, I just think it would look better. Tomorrow I'm gonna tackle that fender so I can put the air filter on and finish the vacuum lines to the charcoal canister.
20200426_192734.jpg

Well guys, finished her up today. Even found my distributor clamp. Anyways, she wont start. When I turn it over it cranks with a lope, never used to do that. But she wont fire up. When I let off the key I get a backfire from the intake or exhaust. What did I do wrong. Pretty sure distributor is in right. 99% sure the firing order is right. give me some suggestions guys.

Last edited:
I have a suspicion your timing is out.

Ok I think I might know where I went wrong. I made sure #1 was at tdc but I didnt check after I got the heads on to make sure it was the compression stroke. It was on the exhaust stroke. So I need to pull the distributer and turn the motor to tdc on the COMPRESSION stroke. Then reinstall distributor and I should be good... am I right?

When I first drop it in I set it to zero. With rotor pointing straight at the number 1 spark plug spot. Fire it up and set the timing with a light. Sometimes you have to turn the distributer a little wither way to get it to fire and stay running. My cars usually have liked 12 degrees.

• Useful
OK need some help.... got her started. I was 180 out on the distributor. Now I let her run to operating temp and she kept going so I shut it down. When I opened the radiator cap water was still cold. I have a 180 degree thermostat and a reverse flow water pump. This is the belt routing I used since I deleted the smog.
Smog_pump_delete-1.JPG

Is my water pump running backwards?

Looks damn good.

If you choose to mod it, or need anything, checkout facebook marketplace. Can score good deals if you wait for it. Join houston mustang classifieds on FB also. If you dont mind driving some for parts.

Looks damn good.

If you choose to mod it, or need anything, checkout facebook marketplace. Can score good deals if you wait for it. Join houston mustang classifieds on FB also. If you dont mind driving some for parts.

Thanks! I do watch the marketplace and am on several mustang pages, including Houston mustang classifieds. I will probably start collecting gt40 parts over time. In a year or so I'll tear it down and put it all on. Question though.... will I need to get a tune after that? Probably best huh?
Right now my top priority is figuring out my driver window. Think the switch is bad, but it drives me nuts not having it work. Also still need to wire in the lights for my new gouges. But other than that all seems good. Thanks for the advice with everything guys, your lifesavers. I will probably continue this thread throughout my build, just won't be as active. Got lots of body work and paint to do in the future along with suspension work. Stay tuned y'all.