95 GT - my baby has a few issues

mcustom

Jul 20, 2011
95 GT, mostly stock, less than 100K Miles, never seen snow, only seen rain 3 times in the last 9 years. Moved from Illinois to Arizona recently.

The headliner is starting to fall over the windows on the drivers and passenger sides. The cloth is great, but the backing board is coming down with it. Is there an adhesive that is starting to separate on me? Anyone have pictures of the installation process that could be of help?

Also, I have a check engine light that comes on every once in a while and only on long enough to be annoying...not long enough to put a code scanner on to see what the computer is saying. I have a full Mac exhaust and just replaced the fuel filter, O2 sensors, every hose that looked old, cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

One last thing, the AC seems to smell of a gasoline tinge when in operation. I don't see any fuel leaking, but I don't like those quick disconnect units on the fuel rails. Does anyone know of a replacement setup to get rid of those quick disconnects and is there anything a person could suggest to look further into on the car?

It runs great, not missing or any issues beyond that.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm in the Prescott area.

Yeah, it's worse when it's hotter out. I haven't stuck my head in the trunk, but you sure can smell it in the engine compartment. I have noticed the lines associated with the AC are getting a bit weathered. I didn't even think to check them for the smell - but is makes sense.

It smells a little sweet but gasoline tinge, which made me think the fittings might be giving up or something. I took my fiance for a trip up to Sadona a few weeks ago (the pass through Jerome was awesome by the way). It was pretty warm out and when we got into Sadona, the traffic was almost a standstill. The temp gauge was rising so we pulled over and just walked around to see the sights. When walking back to the car, that really small breeze was wafting that smell up the street about a half a block. She got in the car after I started it and I popped the hood to check if anything was coming apart because that was the worst I had ever smelled it....and it was from under the hood.

I don't think the sensor in the line is the culprit because though it's a little hot in this area right now, I'm from Illinois where all those corn fields bleed water into the air and the humidity tries to kill you. I can go outside in 95 degree weather and be comfortable out here. In short, I don't use the AC much and the engine code isn't specific to the AC usage.

One other thing, I have an issue with my dash clock working when it wants to. I have seen Late Model Resto has new ignition switches. Has anyone had a temperamental clock or had issues with the ignition switch (not the cylinder, the harness/switch)?

Bob

Prescott is nice. At least you get a winter. :)

So does the smell still occur if you just have the HVAC vent on (but not the AC)? A bad FPR can allow fuel into the vac circuits.
And as noted, rotting EVAP lines can do it to. The line goes into the bottom of the plenum from the firewall-side and it rots out badly. The lines at the canister (inside the passenger fender liner - the canister itself is right under the antenna) can also be rotten, and the canister can crack.