Electrical 95 Mustang GT - Engine wont start after Changing Fuse

Aug 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
1995 Mustang GT 5.0 V8
A little background on this car.
My father bought this car somewhere around 10+ years ago and stopped driving it around 7ish maybe years ago because of an odd vibration. Why he didn't take it to a mechanic is a question i have no answer for. Fast forward 3 years ago and my father gave me this car, issues and and all.

It didn't run, and it needed a new fuel pump. I didn't feel comfortable changing that so i took it to a mechanic and it was fixed and running again, and i found a little more interest in working on this car. So today i thought id try and fix a few issue (I.E. Radio doesn't work, Interior lighting and Gauge cluster dont light up and neither does clock) I Changed the fuse and the lights came on and the ignition beeper was going off, I didn't know the headlight knob also turned on one of the interior lights.

Since i had been playing with all the electronics that were suddenly working again i decided to charge the battery a little and run it for a bit. I pushed the clutch in, checked that it was in neutral and turned the key. It sputtered, Reached around 500 rpms (Maybe) and then cut out. I tried it again, in hindsight i shouldn't have, and it turned over and backfired a bit, reached around 1k rpms for about a minute and then it cut back out. I haven't tried again for fear of killing what little charge the battery has left.

I Think it could be an issue with the alternator or maybe something else electronic because it ran fine the night before when i had a friend over to look at it (He's going to help me do normal work on it like an oil change and spark plugs) What i think is that there is too much draw from the battery now that the radio and lights work, I didn't try taking the fuse i replaced out because i didn't think about it until around 20 minutes ago. I plan to try that tomorrow but i would like to know if maybe my suspicion about the alternator was right.

The only other work i've done on this car so far is change the Battery, Idle Air Control and the Throttle Position Sensor.

• Sponsors (?)

Look in the 5.0 technical/how to threads in the tech forums, go to the cranks but no start checklist, the 94-5 differences are in bold color, this should get it up and running, then go to the surging idle checklist to set you tps correctly, it shows you how to reset the computer after you preform certain procedures. Again the 94-5 differences are in bold color.

Alright well i went through both checklists and its no better. It cranks over and starts but stalls shortly thereafter while spitting white smoke and backfiring while its running. Im getting a code reader for it tomorrow so maybe that will reveal something but other then that its not doing well. If wanted i could take a video of it running for a little more detail on what is actually happening.