• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

95 mustang GT misfire stalling no codes

  • Thread starter Thread starter Que89
  • Start date Start date Aug 12, 2020
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 12, 2020
#1
  • Aug 12, 2020
  • #1
95 mustang GT misfire stalling no codes... i’ve been having some trouble for the past three weeks.... New plugs wires new cap and rotor... I got a rough start... idle was jumping until the car got warm... I adjusted the distributor now I’m idling about 1100 RPMs but now the Idle holdS steady... it’s like a small pulse... unless I’m laying into the throttle... cruising under 2000 RPMs It will start jerking... High RPMs i even gotten a few backfires... it’s even died on me a few times and I’ve had to leave it sit come back it’ll fire right up and run fine for a while still with a miss I can tell when it’s about to die out the whole car seems to shake pretty good.... 95 GT stroked...
 

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 26, 2004
2,374
140
113
Foothill Ranch, CA
Aug 12, 2020
#2
  • Aug 12, 2020
  • #2
Could be as simple as a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses and see if any of them are cracked or split. Be careful of the colored plastic ones, they get brittle over time and may break.
 
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 12, 2020
#3
  • Aug 12, 2020
  • #3
Doesn’t your distributor have to be set perfectly... i’ve been through the hoses I found a few good vacuum leaks the car seems to be running a lot better I think moving the distributor put it out a time...
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,055
10,678
213
polk county florida
Aug 12, 2020
#4
  • Aug 12, 2020
  • #4
This link will help you find your issues, give you proper procedures on things like setting the timing, tps adjustment, just pay attention to the 94-5 specific instructions.

Help me create the "Surging Idle Checklist"

Updated 26-Oct-2019 to clarify creeping idle RPM increase as the car is being driven. Many of you are familiar with the "Cranks OK, but No Start Checklist for Fuel Injected Mustangs" checklist and the No Crank Checklist. They are very effective in finding and eliminating the problems by use of...
forums.stangnet.com
 
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 12, 2020
#5
  • Aug 12, 2020
  • #5
thanks man I tried to update with a video. After I fixed vacuum leaks every hose around the intake blew off I don’t know but is running and idling good but with a healthy miss still has a rough start.. The power just doesn’t seem to be there but much smoother.... Almost like a bad stator on my did on my Yamaha
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,055
10,678
213
polk county florida
Aug 12, 2020
#6
  • Aug 12, 2020
  • #6
Go through the checklist. The wizard (jrichker) that put it together (with help from others here) did so as to help with diagnostic procedures that need to be followed when working on efi/eec controlled mustangs.
Start at the top and do it step by step.
 

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 26, 2004
2,374
140
113
Foothill Ranch, CA
Aug 13, 2020
#7
  • Aug 13, 2020
  • #7
Que89 said:
Doesn’t your distributor have to be set perfectly... i’ve been through the hoses I found a few good vacuum leaks the car seems to be running a lot better I think moving the distributor put it out a time...
Click to expand...
There are a lot of things that can make the engine run bad; our computers are more picky than the Fox's. Again, go through the checklist as General karthief said. It will let you eliminate a lot of things that can cause you trouble.

As for your distributor, there's an old rumor that you can be 'one tooth off'. But that's not true. You rotate the distributor to set the timing, so as long as you can rotate the distributor far enough you're good. It will help us to help you if you go through the checklist first.
 
Reactions: General karthief
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 13, 2020
#8
  • Aug 13, 2020
  • #8
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,055
10,678
213
polk county florida
Aug 13, 2020
#9
  • Aug 13, 2020
  • #9
That's a big gap, what kind of plug?
 
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 13, 2020
#10
  • Aug 13, 2020
  • #10
General karthief said:
That's a big gap, what kind of plug?
Click to expand...
.54 stock plugs I’m pretty sure Motorcraft platinum... The guy got the car from I messaged him asking him he told me he just put the new plug wires on it that he didn’t mess with the spark plugs they all look fouled out... I put the new ones in it’s running so good but one of the plug wires break on me and I can’t get to the back plug on driver side yet... I took it for a ride a lot more power a lot smoother but I can still tell the miss like it’s choking. But when the RPMs was dropping from 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 RPMs it only had a little shake it was before it was jerking... I just feel like something could seriously be wrong.... i’ve never seen spark plugs look like this I mean every single one
 

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
20+ Year Stangneter
Aug 26, 2004
2,374
140
113
Foothill Ranch, CA
Aug 13, 2020
#11
  • Aug 13, 2020
  • #11
I have the same problems with the back driver's side plug. My arms just don't want to fit back there, and I end up scraping them up trying to force it. Keep trying different angles with your arms and you'll make it work.
 
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 18, 2020
#12
  • Aug 18, 2020
  • #12
 
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 18, 2020
#13
  • Aug 18, 2020
  • #13
That’s the new one not drove much at all maybe a few days...here is the old ones that came out of it....
 
Q

Que89

New Member
Aug 12, 2020
8
0
1
Indiana
Aug 18, 2020
#14
  • Aug 18, 2020
  • #14
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

L
95 gt engine vibration
  • lenzgt
  • May 11, 2026
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
6
Views
320
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech May 26, 2026
lenzgt
L
Engine Random Misfire at idle.
  • Gulftown980x
  • Jul 29, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
462
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jul 31, 2026
squeak93
L
Engine 85 GT Excessive Idle
  • lutzkecj
  • Sep 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
232
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 21, 2026
86HO5.0
8
R
Misfire at high rpm! Help
  • Ryanm2018gt
  • Jan 2, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk
Replies
9
Views
1K
2015 - 2023 (S550) Mustang -General/Talk Jan 17, 2026
highplace11
H
9
1997 gt Starts then dies a few seconds after.
  • 97orange
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
206
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2026
97orange
9
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?