96 Cobra Q's

Bluetoy

May 13, 2005
Hey guys. Just bought a pristine 96 Cobra with only 20,000 km's on it. It's never even been driven in the rain. It's Laser Red with black leather. Any how I've got just a couple of quick questions.

I want to go with the 9" front and 10.5" rear wheels. What is the macx tire size I can run with no rubbing? So far the car is stock ride height.

I was going to lower it just slightly. no more than 1.5" Just to fix the huge front fender gap. Any spring suggestions?

I want to put a cold air system on it. Which one seems to give the best gains? Or is there something I can do to the stock setup?

Thanks guys. This car is too nice to mod too much. It's got plenty of power for this old man too!! I like my stock ride quality so I'd like to keep that. My SVT Focus ride is pretty harsh right now :notnice: I've read through many many posts looking for some info but I gave up and thought I'd just ask..

BTW Any pics of red 96-98 Cobras with 10.5 Chrome cobra R rims???

There are some pics of my cars at http://photos.yahoo.com/kartmaniac2002

• Sponsors (?)

I have had a hand in all mods done to my car. It started off stock. first catback, then dropped it, with h&r ss springs. with that drop the front factory tire rubbed on the drivers side, inner fender(where the washer fluid resevoir protudes). fixed it with a utility knife and dremel tool. I wanted the 10.5" rear saleen wheels, but when it came time to order, the company went out of business or something. But you can find them now. I would think with a pro kit drop, you would be safe with 265/35, front, and 295/35 rears. Mine only rub pulling into steep parkinglot entrances at an angle, I guess the rear axle pivots enough to cause my drivers side rear tire to rub on the fender, nothing to bad though. depending on shocks and struts, my illuminas are set on 5, which is firm, three is about stock, and it rides great, a little more bounce, but rides like it is on rails. I would suggest the stuff I used, except maybe a more adjustable s/s/ combo. Click on my link, it doesn't have any before the drop pics, but some since, with the 18x9, and 18x10 wheels. Let me know what you think! Good luck, chris I was gonna get the cobra r wheels, but less mustangs seem to have these. and as far as air intake stuff, have you taken out the air silencer, if not do that and put in a k&n filter, small but noticeable difference :cheers:

Bluetoy,
Go with the Eibach Pro-Kit for the mild drop...just finished mine over the weekend and am very happy with the results. Just enough drop to look mean...but not the slammed look...and still driveable. You will also IMO to do the job right, need C/C plates to get perfect alignment. Here's some pics of my cobra with the Eibach Pro-Kit and new Energy Suspension isolotors:

DCP_1938.jpg

DCP_1939.jpg

DCP_1941.jpg

DCP_1942.jpg

DCP_1946.jpg

DCP_1950.jpg

Hope this helps you out. :cheers:

275 up front is about the max. I have them on mine and they do not rub at all (1997 GT). I believe 315 is close to the max for the back, not positive, but I know 315 will fit.

SnakeandBake That's just about perfect. I am trying to decide between the Eibachs or the FRPP M-5300-b. The ford ones will only drop about 3/4 inch so I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to go with AFS Chrome Cobra R's in 17x9/10.5 with 275 and 315's Just gotta figure out the springs.

I'm really loving this car!!!

BTW I took the rubber "silencer" off my air box. What a pain in the ass to get that out!!!

you might want to check out my cardomain link if not already. page two has a underneath clearence pic, with the 295's on a 10 " rim. You might lose your tailpipes atleast, but judge for your self, about an 1"1/2, from tire to tail pipe, and maybe an inch from tire to quad shock. just throwing that out. Good luck

chrisbudl1 said:
you might want to check out my cardomain link if not already. page two has a underneath clearence pic, with the 295's on a 10 " rim. You might lose your tailpipes atleast, but judge for your self, about an 1"1/2, from tire to tail pipe, and maybe an inch from tire to quad shock. just throwing that out. Good luck

Damn that's close. I don't want to lose my tailpipe. I won't be going that low either.

What's your rim offset?