96 GT/98 GT Whats the difference ?

Foastic

Mar 23, 2011
Can someone please tell me the difference between a 96 GT and a 98 GT that allows a Predator chip/tuner to be used ? I have made a few mods and I'm confused on the chip/tuner setups. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

I am just getting into the tuners as well and unfortunately cannot answer your question. I can tell you that the '98 was a bastard year as Ford started to change over from non-pi to pi engine and this included changes in a lot of wiring and electronics. For instance, if you have a AODE trans in a '98, you cannot do a simple plug and play from any other year to your '98. The internal electronics match '98+ and the vehicle speed sensor set up matches '98 and before. You can swap the electronics, solenoids etc and make a pre '98 it work but it is not a simple plug and play.
Send an e-mail to Willie @ [email protected]. He is gonna be my tuner guy and appears to know his stuff about all the usual suspects.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Well at least I have a 5 speed, maybe that'll make it a little easier. I do plan on doing a pi swap fairly soon, I don't know if that'll make a difference though. Seems like a p.i.t.a but at least I'm not trying to design the tuner.