96 GT-> How tough is stock crank?

Back2Mustangs

Sep 2, 2004
How strong is the stock crank shaft? I can't decide whether to buy a new long-block or rebuild the stock shortblock myself, but I was just wondering about reusing the stock crank...if I ever boost this motor I don't want to have to tear the guts out again.

• Sponsors (?)

bdcardinal said:
...but if youre gonna have the motor apart you might as well do it right the first time.
Thats the way I am with everything, but I just can't make up my mind on what to do with this car... just heads and cams or bottle or set it up for a KB... I just don't know yet. If I go the NA route which is really what I'm leaning towards for this car, then I think I may just re-use the stock crank...but if I decide later to add a blower, I don't want to lose any sleep over the crank.

the other problem is the 96 has the 6 bolt crank,(atleast mine does) and most of the performance options as far as clutches etc are geared for an 8 bolt crank(cobra&99 up gt) so if you plan to upgrade to a new trans you might want to go with a cobra 8 bolt crank. I hope this makes sense..it does in my head but i'm tired..lol