96 GT ignition question and confusion

PurpleSN95

Aug 2, 2021
Houston tx
Hi everyone I am new here and hope someone can help I just purchased a 96 GT convertible that sat in a garage for 4 yes. My problem and question is the theft light blinks normal before key in inserted then blinks fast when ignition is turned and the car doesn't crank but the dash lights up and my questionis does this year car take a chipped key. The key I got with the car is not its just a standard metal key

• Sponsors (?)

All 3 of my 96 GT’s use a chipped key. Your car should crank with the standard metal key though. It will fire for a split second and immediately die due to the PATS not reading the chip in the key. You are going to have to look into why the starter is not engaging.

Also, you are probably going to have to find a locksmith to make you a key and program it. Not sure if you can do it on your own or not. Once you have one key programmed you can program more on your own. 99 and up need two keys to program a 3rd or more.
Hope this helps some.

All 3 of my 96 GT’s use a chipped key. Your car should crank with the standard metal key though. It will fire for a split second and immediately die due to the PATS not reading the chip in the key. You are going to have to look into why the starter is not engaging.

Also, you are probably going to have to find a locksmith to make you a key and program it. Not sure if you can do it on your own or not. Once you have one key programmed you can program more on your own. 99 and up need two keys to program a 3rd or more.
Hope this helps some.
Thanks Trigger I did call my mobile auto locksmith and he said it takes a metal key and I just put the car on my new AUTEL MAXI tablet and it does show that the car is disabled and that the master key is not being used but again the dealer and the locksmith say the same thing it doesn't use a chipped key so I am going to get them out here to just resettle theft system and see what happens

Pretty sure your car uses a chipped key if the theft light blinks real fast with the ignition on. On my vert I have a key that was not cut properly but I was able to program it. I have this key on my moving around cars key set. I have a metal regular key right beside it. When I turn on the ignition using the metal key, the theft light blinks real fast. I have to move around the chipped key till the sensor reads the key and then the light goes off and I can start the car and do what ever.