96+ steering rack on a Fox?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
I have 96+ front spindles, fit fine and everything....but because the stock Fox rack is too short, my inner tie rod ends are threaded out too far in the outer ends. I figure a 96 rack is the proper length, and it should fit on the cradle fine, I just don't know about the lines and what not.

• Sponsors (?)

You need longer tie rod ends. I beleive i read the correct ones to use were off a ford Taurus. I am not sure though. You'll need to search around.

But SN95 racks do offer better feel than Fox racks..but not sure wht it takes to run one

I'm running into this too. I'm thinking of tacking the outter tie rod to the jam nut with a weld or two to help strengthen it after the alignment. I'm just going to use new tie rods so it won't need work any time soon. If I ever needed to change any thing I'd just cut the tacks with a grinder.

SN95 inner tie rods are too long for a fox with stock fox LCA's, no matter what spindles you are using. I have this set up on my 81 notch. The outer tie rods bottom out on the inners, and the wheels are still way too far outward. I used fox inner and fox outer tie rods on the SN95 rack. Everything is just fine. Also, you cannot mix and match SN95 inners/ outers with fox inners/ outers. They changed the threads, and they won't thread on one another. The threads on the rack itself are the same though, so fox inners thread onto the 94-04 rack.

Ok, so an 96+ rack will fit on a Fox and have no problems with the lines or the steering shaft, direct fit? I just use fox tie rod ends (both inner and outer)?

im interested in knowing this info too because i hate the way fox steering feels.its so loose and ****ty. but do the lines from an sn rack match up to a fox? 96 had hydroboost,idk if that effects anything.

I've got a 2004 GT rack swapped into my '90 GT. I needed to use a hybrid steering shaft from Maximum Motorsports, I believe a fox steering shaft won't bolt up to a SN95 rack, nor will a SN95 shaft fit the fox steering column. I'm pretty sure there's no other way around it, I may be wrong but the solid shaft is definately a worthwhile upgrade anyway.

The lines don't require anything custom, I got new lines from NAPA, I seem to remember asking for 1995 lines, but it's been a while so I'm not certain. I've still got a fox p/s pump so I may have just asked for 1993 lines.

And yes SN95 outer tie rods will not mate up to fox inners or vice versa, the threads are different between the two, but all year inners will fit all year racks. The SN95 tie rods are too long for a foxbody so you'll need fox inners and outers.

Pretty easy swap really, and totally worth it. My steering feel and response with the '04 rack and solid steering shaft feels nothing like the stock steering. It's much better weighted and way more responsive, feels much closer to BMW steering than Ford steering. :D

Correct. Used fox inner and fox outers on the 96 rack.......but......the fox steering shaft will not fit the 94-04 rack. You can buy one like said above...or...save your cash. Get a 94-04 shaft, and your fox shaft next to each other. You can grind the rivets off both, and switch the bottom coupler. Put the bottom half of the 94-04 shaft on your fox end. You will have to nut and bolt it back together. I suggest using red lock-tite, and using hardened nuts and bolts with lock washers.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier. One more thing. The lines will thread in as well. I know early foxes won't though. It must be 83-93. For example, an 83-93 fox line would not thread into my 81 rack. 81-82 are different.