96 to 99 engine swap questions

smenzel444

Jun 10, 2006
I'm planning on puttin a 99 4.6 SOHC in my 96 GT. I notice a couple problems already. I have the complete engine with harness and TB. Any advice would be appreciated.

1. The 99 has the coil on plug setup, can I use this with my cars wiring?

2. The fuel rail doesn't have a return, it has an electronic regulator or something on the left bank. What do I do with my original return line?

I was thinking of just using my 96 fuel rails, but then what will happen with the electronic regulator plug?

I could also use my 96 coils and harness, but I see some other differences in the wiring on the 99.

I think I'll quit now and let some of you experts tell me what's up.

Thanks a ton.

• Sponsors (?)

Transfer all the stuff from your '96 engine over to the '99 long block. Don't bother trying to incorporate the COP set up or return less fuel system to your current set up. There's no advantage to it.

You'll also need to tap the aluminum cross-over on the intake for the second temp sensor. If you don't have the aluminum cross-over, or you don't want to remove it to get it tapped, look on the side of the block for a plug that you can remove and screw the sensor in. Some people [I can't seem to think of who it was :D ] use a T fitting in the one provided sensor hole and then screw the two sensors into it.