97 cobra electrical question

viper0824

Feb 27, 2008
My cobra has to be jumped everytime I let her sit overnight ,im pretty sure its my battery but in the past I replaced it (another car) and still had to replace the alt.
I bought a volt meter today after I charged my battery (optima) Check volts- 12.5
started the car up checked it while at idle 14.5 . she was in storage since october so i figured she drained since I left the alarm on,im gonna get a disconnect on the terminal.so what you guys think battery or alternator? THIS SUCKS!I wanna get her out ASAP.

• Sponsors (?)

It could be the battery - it might not be holding a charge for longer than a handful of hours.

Did you have a battery tender hooked up to the car when it was in storage? If not, invest in one.

Unhook your battery and get it bench tested at a local auto parts store. Or, you might have an electrical drain in your car's wiring - that could be a nightmare though. Start with the battery and go from there.

Do you have any aftermarket electrical goodies wired up as well?

No electrical extras on her,once upon a time my 93LX 5.0. had the same problem 400.00 later found out when the hood would be closed the light under hood would stay on. This time there is no under hood light,interior light.gonna go to adv.auto on sat. morning.I could get a reg. batt. but want the best for my cobra.have to wait till payday :shrug:.thanks ahead for any comments.:SNSign:

I have the same exact problem except that my 97 cobra doesn't drain the battery until after a few days... then I need a jump.

I narrowed it down to of all things the headlamp circuit by using a test light.

series a test light with the battery post and battery terminal (with the car shut off)

you need to first hold the terminal on the post to charge up the electronics, then slide it off with the test light still in series. test light is on.. you have a draw.

pull fuses until the test light goes out to find the circuit that is drawing

I have the same exact problem except that my 97 cobra doesn't drain the battery until after a few days... then I need a jump.

I narrowed it down to of all things the headlamp circuit by using a test light.

series a test light with the battery post and battery terminal (with the car shut off)

you need to first hold the terminal on the post to charge up the electronics, then slide it off with the test light still in series. test light is on.. you have a draw.

pull fuses until the test light goes out to find the circuit that is drawing

you can check it with a dvom in series as well. Any draw over .5 amp will kill it over night.