97 gt hope it’s not what I think

rdtavape

Jun 1, 2018
Tucson, AZ
I’ve switched around plugs, plug wires, coil packs and the same cylinders continued to misfire. #3 and number #7. So today I removed the plug from each cylinder and dripped in a little oil and when I started her up it’s the best she’s run in a minute. So I went for a drive about a mile down the street and turned the car off and when I started it again maybe an hour later it’s running rough as hell again. Misfiring I’m sure. That being said, am I looking at having to replace my piston rings? Cuz if that’s the case it’s time for a new car. I do all my own mechanic work but that’s just too much.

• Sponsors (?)

I’ve switched around plugs, plug wires, coil packs and the same cylinders continued to misfire. #3 and number #7. So today I removed the plug from each cylinder and dripped in a little oil and when I started her up it’s the best she’s run in a minute. So I went for a drive about a mile down the street and turned the car off and when I started it again maybe an hour later it’s running rough as hell again. Misfiring I’m sure. That being said, am I looking at having to replace my piston rings? Cuz if that’s the case it’s time for a new car. I do all my own mechanic work but that’s just too much.
Personally I think I’d start with a compression test, that’ll tell you what you need to know more than likely.

The spark plug insert grommets go over time which allows oil to leak in, as well as valve cover gaskets. I'd try replacing those first, then shoot for compression test.