• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

97 Mustang Gt, Ignition And Ac Clutch Problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vincent T
  • Start date Start date Aug 12, 2016
V

Vincent T

New Member
Aug 12, 2016
2
0
1
Aug 12, 2016
#1
  • Aug 12, 2016
  • #1
ok, I'm new here searching for helpful hints on why this car ain't working. I'll start from the beginning. I recently bought a 97 Mustang GT from a lady who said the AC went out and the belt broke. So I looked at it and found that the AC Clutch had burnt up and the bearing was also bad. Before I bought it, I tried to start it but battery was dead. Anyway. I replaced the AC clutch all all components, went to start and it won't start. I researched it and replaced Ignition coils and tested starter. Still nothing, I got kinda creative and jumpers the starter relay and the car will turn on and stay on. But still can't get it to turn on with ignition switch. I also noticed that my AC clutch isn't getting any power either. Tested so safety switches and they seemed to be fine. Put 12 volts to the clutch and it works fine. I checked for anything that may have been burnt up cause the clutch was burnt up pretty bad but nothing visible. Been reading thinking it could be the PCM since it tells the car to start via the TR switch and it also controls the AC clutch according to the Haynes manual. The PCM looks good, so I'm very confused. I've heard that the CCRM controls the relays for the AC clutch but does it have anything to do with the ignition part. I'm not a genius but I can read and work a meter fairly well. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 

Az Pete

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
711
18
49
Panama City, Fl.
Aug 12, 2016
#2
  • Aug 12, 2016
  • #2
If the ac is low on freon, the in line low pressure switch will prevent the clutch from engaging. It can be jumped to test.
 
Reactions: Vincent T
V

Vincent T

New Member
Aug 12, 2016
2
0
1
Aug 12, 2016
#3
  • Aug 12, 2016
  • #3
Az Pete said:
If the ac is low on freon, the in line low pressure switch will prevent the clutch from engaging. It can be jumped to test.
Click to expand...
I did jumper out the low pressure switch but nothing happened.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

D
Mustang not starting
  • Dawry Ramos
  • Sep 12, 2026
  • 2015 - 2023 Specific Tech
Replies
10
Views
206
2015 - 2023 Specific Tech 16 minutes ago
Dawry Ramos
D
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
441
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
312
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
82 Gen 1 Coyote Swap AC Questions...
  • thinkfaster
  • Aug 14, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
451
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 15, 2025
thinkfaster
A
1987 5.0 speed density Foxbody crank no start
  • Alan2204
  • May 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
453
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 30, 2026
Mcmahst
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?