97 mustang GT no start. Please help!

G_woodson

Jul 24, 2018
Memphis
So I just bought my first mustang two days ago everything was going good until I attempted to back in my driveway. When backing up the car completely shut off, and when trying to turn it over it just clicks like a bad starter. I’ve checked the battery connections everything is good the car has power but will not do anything but click. Seeing as it just turned off I don’t think the starter is bad. Has anyone ever had this problem before? I’ve also tried to pop the clutch and that won’t even start it.

• Sponsors (?)

Need more information... So when you turn the key do the dash lights and gauges come on? You don't hear the starter turning so you have "no crank"? Have you checked the voltage on your battery? What is the voltage on the battery? Let's start there.

I agree. If it shut off then it's likely electrical. Focus on:
  • The battery.
  • The battery terminals. Especially the battery negative as it's bad about splitting.
  • The ground. Especially the ground from the radiator core support that goes around the battery.
  • Confirm there is +12 volts at the alternator B+ main terminal.
Don't cut corners on testing the battery and alternator.

Low tech battery voltage tester. Turn the head lights on. Are they bright? What happens when you attempt to crank? Do the head lights stay the same, dim, or go out:?

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

Test for key on +12 volts at each (or one to confirm basic power) fuel injector and the TPS. Use a known good ground.

1996+ Crank with no start check list
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html

Last edited:
I’m deployed so I’m having my buddy check it for me. I was on a video call with him when they were attempting to start it. So when you turn the key on volt meter in the car is reading 12v when you try and turn it over there is just a single click. Also while trying to start it the battery drops. There isn’t a sound of the starter trying to turn over just one click. Attempted to start it with jumper cables nothing. Tried to dump clutch while rolling it nothing. It all started when they went to back it in my driveway he said it scraped a little and just turned off. All gauges and some lights work

Also checked all the fuses and relays all were good so what all grounds should I check. I heard these cars have some crazy ground locations. This car is especially hard to get under since it’s like two inches off the ground

The gauges in the car are just for show. Don't depend on the voltage one to be accurate. The battery should have a voltage of at least 13.5v (14v preferably), not 12v. 12v is too low to start a car. I think when it's sitting, 12.7v is okay but no lower. But if it's just the battery, a jump should start it. If the battery is fine the next thing I would do is get under the car and see if the voltage is being delivered to the starter. I think there is a fusable link between the battery and the starter. WMBurns would know.

Follow wmburns advice if you want to fix it. Of course if you have money to burn then just throw parts at it(starting with the battery).
Thank you for your service and be safe.