'98 3.8L spark plugs and wires.....which ones?

Do you fellas only use Motorcraft plugs and wires for your SN95's? I've read horror stories of problems from people that use aftermarket plugs and wires and then problems start creeping up.

Is there any validity to this or just a myth. I'm needing to change the plugs and wires on the '98 and value your input.

• Sponsors (?)

Any plugs and wires will run these engines, but there's some evidence to suggest they like certain plugs over others.

I recently swapped my Bosch Platinum +2s for Motorcraft Platinums and seem to have picked up 1-2 MPG (the old plugs had about 60k on them). The wires are original, but last I checked them with the ohmmeter they were still within specs.

I've heard of people getting much better mileage and/or power by running .060 gaps on their plugs along with aftermarket ignition coils to fire them. I'm not sure if I believe that- if it was that easy why didn't Ford do it?
The only real problems I've heard of concerning ignition resulted from defects- broken plugs, wire insulation worn through, failing coil, etc.

Myth

No problems with the Screamin Deamon Coil and using the matching live wires
They are quality, I've had mine on for 2 years now. I changed the plugs at the same time of course. I did go with .o65 regarding gap. These coils are great. Better spark, better continuity, etc.. Your car will run better, because the combustion in the cylinders will be better. You don't need a heavily modified car to take advantage of better spark. Mine is heavily modified, but I was a electrician before and I can tell you that this coil and wires will be a good addition. Ford Racing doesn't supply much for the 3.8L V6 engines, that's why everyone is going this route. Ford racing is mainly for our V8 pwr cars/trucks engines. They figure if you really wanted pwr you'd get a V8. Even todays 4.0L V6 isn't going to show up with many Ford Racing performance upgrades. What they have is a basic stage 1 and that's about it. That's also why there is Companies such as Supersixmotorsports.com and moranav6racing.com. I doubt if they ever will supply performance parts for the V6 unless we see the 3.5L Ecoboost twin turbo come in a Mustang at some point. This could actually happen. The austrailia Ford Falcon now out, is a rear wheel drive car and has a 2.0L Ecoboost in it. Ford also displayed a 34 Ford Coupe - Custom , for the Sema show and it was a rear wheel drive with the 3.5L Ecoboost putting out 400hp/400ftlb of torque. I tried telling people we'd start seeing this happen when this first came out, but everyone said they didn't believe me because they were only putting it in all wheel drive cars. Motorcraft makes good plugs, just by the best platinum etc.. plugs for your car that you can afford. They'll last longer and on some years the passenger side is a pain. If the brand of plug you buy has a plug listed for your car, then they should work fine. Some will have a conversion chart as well. Just ask the parts person and let them know the exact year and motor you have. Also, make sure you change your fuel filter at the recommended intervals. Very important. There are plenty of performance options available for your 3.8L engine if that's what you want to do. Just don't count on Ford Racing to have any performance upgrades for it. They don't even make the 4.10 gears any more. They do have the tracklok for it though. Nice if you want better traction.