98 Cobra Rims

I did get my set of originals cleaned up and mounted new tires. I like them but a 17x9 would allow me to run a 275 in the back. This setup has a 255 in the back.
1000088013.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I think the 17x9 offset would have a little poke on a Fox with SN95 axles. It would be perfect for fox length axles though.

To be honest, now that there is an option to buy new, i may sell off some of my wheels. I have two that I was keeping handy to have widened to 9" one day. Guess i don't need that now.

Still keeping my one mint set.

I’d be interested in seeing the construction/ weight of the originals compared to the LMR wheels. I would think there is a significant difference in quality.

@Mustang5L5 WOW! Thanks for posting this news! I just checked out their wheels last week to see what was out there before this went up. I was almost ready to order a set of their '95 R rims, which I don't really want since my car is not an R clone. This is exactly what I've been looking for - I've wanted these in 17x9 for years. Now I'm really glad I didn't go with my buddy's GT500 wheels.

Hopefully they're good quality, otherwise this will be very disappointing. I plan to beat the crap out of them at the track. I might order two wheels to start and see how they look.

@Rdub6 I'm going to dig out my old Ford Racing catalogs to check the specs. I vaguely remember the '98 wheels at being 17 lbs, but I don't remember. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Unfortunately, my factory '98s are all mounted otherwise I would weigh one.

@Mustang5L5

Hopefully they're good quality, otherwise this will be very disappointing. I plan to beat the crap out of them at the track. I might order two wheels to start and see how they look.

@Rdub6 I'm going to dig out my old Ford Racing catalogs to check the specs. I vaguely remember the '98 wheels at being 17 lbs, but I don't remember. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Unfortunately, my factory '98s are all mounted otherwise I would weigh one.
Wouldn't hurt to call or send LMR a message..... They have bent over backward for me on questions and they seem pretty honest with their answers... I questioned the length of a positive bat cable they sell and the guy went out back, opened a box, and measured it for me......
Good People in my book.....

Last edited:
  • Agree
I’m at work, but I can check later…….
My 17x9 Bullitt replicas from American Muscle are 5 lug, made for Foxbody and fit perfect w/ Fox axles. I did have to use rack limiters in the front though.
Anyway, if you check those specs vs. these, it may give you an idea of how they will fit.

I’d be interested in seeing the construction/ weight of the originals compared to the LMR wheels. I would think there is a significant difference in quality.

They claim they weigh 22 lbs in the video. I measured 21.6 lbs. So close there.

OEM SN95 17x8 wheel specs are +30 , 5.72" BS

The LMR wheels are

17x8: +30 5.68" BS
17x9: +24 5.93" BS

For comparison, 03/04 Cobra 17x9 wheels are +26 offset.

After having my car on jack stands for 4 months troubleshooting a new transmission, I drove 10 miles and hit a nasty pothole and cracked a wheel in 5 places. It was one of my original Eagle Alloys American made 95 Cobra R wheels. I am heartbroken. Imagine me standing in the garage last night explaining to the wife that I now need 4 new wheels and tires because that rim was discontinued like 15 years ago. I love the 95' Cobra R wheel look. I just ordered some "OE wheels" deep dish 95' Cobra Rs really cheap on Jegs last night. I know every thing is made in China out of Chinesium now anyway. I chatted with Jegs, and they said they are cheap because they are being discontinued and the company is dumping the rest of their stock. But I am getting a 17"x10.5" rear wheel. Wish me luck. Man I am really going to miss those wheels.

Kurt

After having my car on jack stands for 4 months troubleshooting a new transmission, I drove 10 miles and hit a nasty pothole and cracked a wheel in 5 places. It was one of my original Eagle Alloys American made 95 Cobra R wheels. I am heartbroken. Imagine me standing in the garage last night explaining to the wife that I now need 4 new wheels and tires because that rim was discontinued like 15 years ago. I love the 95' Cobra R wheel look. I just ordered some "OE wheels" deep dish 95' Cobra Rs really cheap on Jegs last night. I know every thing is made in China out of Chinesium now anyway. I chatted with Jegs, and they said they are cheap because they are being discontinued and the company is dumping the rest of their stock. But I am getting a 17"x10.5" rear wheel. Wish me luck. Man I am really going to miss those wheels.

Kurt
That sucks man!!! Always something with these cars!!
I looked at some OE wheels a while ago….. they actually have some nice looking options….. I’m sure the American Muscle wheels I ended up with are made from the same chinesium as the rest of them…….
I guess without spending $300 a wheel, thats what we get to choose from.

That sucks man!!! Always something with these cars!!
I looked at some OE wheels a while ago….. they actually have some nice looking options….. I’m sure the American Muscle wheels I ended up with are made from the same chinesium as the rest of them…….
I guess without spending $300 a wheel, thats what we get to choose from.

The retail on the wheels on the Eagle Alloys was over $1100 for the set in like 1998. Put 25 years of inflation on that number. I bought them used at $550 in like 2004 or something. I think I just paid just over $600 for these new Chinesium wheels.

I figured out the problem. I just spent over $8500 on the transmission swap. When I did the transmission I finally found a way to stop the rear main seal leak. I had a squeaky belt tensioner and fixed that. The AC compressor had a small leak where I had to top off the gas like every 5 years, and I changed the compressor. It was literally the moment when there was nothing left to fix on the car, and it wasn't leaking a single thing for the first time in over 20 years.

Kurt

@Mustang5L5 Thanks for checking on the weight and the specs. I think I'm remembering the weight from one of my old 15" drag rears. These clones look very close to original '98s in all respects. I'm gong to go ahead and order a pair of the 17x9s and see what they look like. Hopefully their decent quality and balance well. I like the idea of using the factory 17x8s up front and the 17x9s out back. If they past muster, I'll order more for a track set.

@revhead347 I'm really sorry to hear about your wheel damage. That's horrible, and really hits hard when you can't find exact replacements anymore. Stories like that seem to happen more and more, especially now that you can't find most of the taken-for-granted parts from "back in the day" anymore. How are you fitting the 10.5" wheels in back? Did you roll your fenders or was your custom axle build narrowed from stock width?

The retail on the wheels on the Eagle Alloys was over $1100 for the set in like 1998. Put 25 years of inflation on that number. I bought them used at $550 in like 2004 or something. I think I just paid just over $600 for these new Chinesium wheels.

I figured out the problem. I just spent over $8500 on the transmission swap. When I did the transmission I finally found a way to stop the rear main seal leak. I had a squeaky belt tensioner and fixed that. The AC compressor had a small leak where I had to top off the gas like every 5 years, and I changed the compressor. It was literally the moment when there was nothing left to fix on the car, and it wasn't leaking a single thing for the first time in over 20 years.

Kurt
Of course that’s the way it goes! That’s pretty much my life as well….. always something.
But on a positive, how did you fix the rear main?