98 Convertible Rear Quarter Windows off track?

AesclepiusCrow

Sep 4, 2009
Having an issue with my rear quarter panel windows rolling up in my 98 convertible. One appears to roll sluggishly into place, which doesn't quite create a seal with the window in front of it, while the other seems to be scraping against something within body of the vehicle itself, leaving a deep gash in the bottom of the window itself.

I'm hoping this is something I can repair myself by opening up the inner quarter panels like I've done with the front windows, but also looking into possible causes so I can prevent it in the future. Could it be the rubber molding running along the convertible's top that is forcing the windows off their track? I've noticed in our '98 Sebring that the car actually rolls the windows down enough to not make contact with the top before the top is latched down, could these window issues be from someone having latched the top while the windows were up? (I myself keep the windows fully down until the top is latched and then raise them for similar reasons.)

Also, I've heard that getting behind those inner quarter panels is one of the most pain in the ass things you'd want to do given the location of the nuts holding it in. Is this true? I've reset my driver and passenger door window tracks already, so once in I'm sure I can handle it, but is it worth bothering or just having a mechanic take a peek?

• Sponsors (?)