98 GT convertible 4.6 electrical problem. Clicking from left side trunk

sen

Apr 8, 2012
I've disconnected all of the connections in the left to middle part of the trunk but the clicking sound won't go away until I disconnect the battery. Whatever is causing it drains my battery pretty regularly. It's also intermittent so I'm having a hard time finding the problem. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi:

Not sure about a 98, but, my 2000 GT has the reset button for the fuel pump in the left rear trunk behind the interior trunk trim. Just a shot in the dark, but you might want to check that out.

Regards, Bob

Yes the FOB did work and the door locks were working. I unplugged every connection in the trunk i could find and the clicking continued.

It wasn't the fuel pump reset. After replacing the fuel pump she is starting again.

I had the dealer check my a/c problem last year and they said the Constant Control Relay Module was bad. They wanted $600 just for the part so i'm looking for one of those tomorrow, but I wouldn't think that would be causing my trunk problem. So close to getting my convertible back on the road for spring....so close...

Have you looked at the trunk unlock solenoid? Does the clicking stop if I/P fuse 12 is pulled? Does pulling I/P fuse 6 or 16 make a difference?

FWIIW, a re-man CCRM is a $65 part with core ($125 no core). Consider going the re-man route.

For the 98 MY Convertible, the remote keyless entry model is connector C401. Did you remove this connector?

If the noise turns out to be the trunk lid release solenoid and the remote module has been removed, consider this could be the trunk release switch in the glove box.

C401-location.gif