98 V6 -> 289 engine swap

Cerdman

Sep 10, 2018
Pennsylvania
About two years ago now my dad and I starting doing an engine swap on my mustang! It is my first engine swap, my first rebuild and my first car actually!
The 289 belonged to my grandfather so it is very important to me because he has passed away and this engine is one of my last mementos from him. He (my grandfather) actually took a four cylinder out of an old ranger and put the 289 in its place and boy did that truck move! Was the plow truck for many many years. Anyway back to the point.

My father and I fully rebuilt it and put it into my 98. It is running and able to be driven. Everything is factory matching numbers on the motor. It is actually sort of a hybrid I guess you would say, it was one of the last 289's built. The block is actually stamped as a 302 block but it was assembled as a 289! IIRC the serial numbers indicate it was made in 68. What we were told is that it came out of a Cougar!

We had the block cleaned and honed etc.. The whole nine yards so to speak. That being said we did put a mild cam in it. Needless to say I would like to upgrade to a 4 barrel carb!

The cam we used is a Comp Cam 31-242-3 with lifters and fully adjustable timing kit. According to the garage we went through to order it, it would work with all factory stock internals therefore we didn't change anything else. But I am looking for advice!

1) Are there any internals such as rockers, push rods, or valve springs etc. that we should upgrade to?
2) My friend gave me an Edelbrock Performer Series 1406 600 CFM 4 barrel carb that has been hardly used (plan on rebuilding it regardless) so I was wondering what the best intake manifold would be for the cam and carb that I am planning on using?
3) If I could get a list of parts? I am not looking for the very tip top most expensive parts but I also do not want the cheapest PoS parts either.
4) My father was always a gear head. When he was my age(22), younger in fact. He built his own 351 (multiple times). He ended up using the heads off of a 302. He converted them to work with a 351 so, ports valves etc.. He offered them to me since I was looking into swapping heads, so my question is would they be beneficial to my build?
5) Could I add a supercharger or turbo to it?
6) What should I consider the redline?
7) Some good websites to order body parts such as bumpers, louvers, hoods etc..
8) I am looking for a full black interior to put in if anyone knows someone selling a set for a decent price! maybe a mach 460 sound set or a better newer speaker system that I can install!

And before anyone mentions it, NO I do NOT want to convert it to a 302 even though the block is stamped as 302. And no I do not have any plans to turn it into a stroker motor!

I can upload some pictures maybe some video later! I have a video of the first test fire with open headers at midnight in a closed garage ;)!

• Sponsors (?)

If it were me, I'd inspect the parts I have for wear before replacing a bunch of stuff (always the budget in mind)...BUT, since it is a motor that has seen a lot of service and it is going in a Mustang that may see a spirited driving:

1) I'd go after some of the recommended pieces on your cam card (or similar parts of another brand)...valve springs, retainers, and new pushrods. Personally, I'd do screw in studs and guide plates as insurance. On the expense side, I'd do roller rockers, just because I could.
2) Given the cam profile spec'd, I'd look for a dual plane intake...preferences vary, but they are out there from Ford, Edelbrock, Weiand and others, and may be had for reasonable prices at swap meets or on EBay.
3) List of parts: someone with recent sbf experience will likely chime in, but start with the cam card spec'd parts...google 1968 289 ford "part" for other pieces you desire...Rockauto may have some of the pieces you are looking for as well.
4). I'll defer this to someone with recent sbf experience...some heads are more desirable than other...you'll likely need to provide the casting numbers from both sets of heads for an opinion.
5) Forced induction? Sure, but first consider your intent for the car, and, the strength of the motor's lower end.
6) your cam is spec'd for a power range to 5800...much above that and you are only making noise and burning dinosaurs...also again, consider the lower end of the motor vs higher rpm work. In the end, you pick a number...I always set redline with cam and seat of the pants...for your motor it may be something less than 5800 or something just above 6k...
7) Start with American Muscle, LMR, CJPony and broaden the offerings with a Google search...beware the cheaper priced stuff is often "cheap".
8) start with the same guys above for an interior...I bought an interior piece from Richmond Auto Upholstery---it looks great, but I haven't installed it yet. "Decent price" is in the eye of the beholder...car interior pieces are time intensive and intricate pieces of stitchery...inexpensive they are not. Replace your seat foam too for best result.
Happy hunting.