98GT crank yes start no

davidlenhart

Sep 30, 2011
Yesterday i backed my car out of the garage and it worked fine. Fifteen minutes later i went to put it back in and it just cranked but wouldnt fire. I opened the trunk checked the switch but it was down. I then opened the hood and checked the fuse but it was good. I noticed when the engine is cranking over the theft light is flashing rapidly. The car is dead in the water and i dont know what to do.

• Sponsors (?)

davidlenhart:

Welcome to StangNet!

Try using your spare key to start it. That is one easy way to check if PATS is contributing to the no-start condition.

Check the inertia switch in the trunk. Push the button on it to make sure it didn't trip for some reason. That's another easy one to check.

Please list the modifications to the car as the list will help others to head in the the right direction.

I suspect that your fuel pump has quit because the reported symptoms are exactly what happened to me. Another possibility is a plugged fuel filter. When was it changed last?

What has been done to the car recently?

Last thing (for now): the '98 Owner's manual comes with a fuse diagram that is incorrect. It (incorrectly) shows the fuel pump and PCM fuses swapped. If you are standing in front of the driver side wheel and looking at the engine, the FP fuse is the one closest to the fender and the PCM fuse is the one closest to the engine. Those two yellow 20A fuses sit to the left of most of the other fuses in the engine bay panel (high current panel).

More info, please.

Chris

98GT cranks but no start

Only one key came with the car as I bought it used. The fuel pump switch button in the trunk is down. The only engine modifications are a cold air pipe and accel ignition coils. The fuel filter was changed out last year. Just last week I changed out the intake manifold because it cracked in the thermostat area. I replaced it with the same kind and not the PI one. The car has been running great and haven't had any trouble until this happend. I checked both those fuses and they appear ok

The next good test would be to check the fuel pressure. Use a fuel pressure gauge, or at your own risk, depress the valve on the fuel rail. Use something to cover the valve so you don't spray fuel everywhere.
If the fuel pump is running, you will should have some gas spray out. If not, nothing will happen at all.

I recently had to change out the fuel pump on my 97 GT. It was working perfectly fine after driving 200 miles in one day, then the next morning the pump wouldn't run.

Back to the PATS thing, sounds funny that the theft light is blinking quickly. I didn't notice that when my fuel pump went out. It may actually be a PATS issue.