98GT runs & idles rough

je7865je

Sep 28, 2005
My 98GT 4.6L started running rough Last Saturday after a 120 mile trip. On Sunday the Check Engine Light came on and although it starts OK it continues to run very rough. The plugs only have a few thousand miles on them, plug wires were not changed. I checked all plug wires to make sure they are seated but now not sure what else to check. Have not drove car since Sunday 9/25. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If the plugs are recently changed (and gapped correctly), check your fuel filter, change your PCV and maybe change your plugs wires if everything else has been done. Also, disconnect your battery after your change-outs to reset the computer which happens over a few days.

je7865je said:
Where is the fuel filter located and if I can get a code checker, where does that plug into?

A new fuel filter is something you should change at least once every couple of years... $12.00 compared to not doing it and spending money on a $300 code checker. Filter should be changed regardless.

The Fuel filter is located behind the real axle attached to the area between the gas tank and the axle. It's a small cylinder. You need to have the fuel line removal tool ($8) and be sure to cut off your fuel feed before you do it (the switch is in the trunk). Contact me through PM if you need any detailed information. It is very easy to do and a major tune-up item for our stangs.

Dont guess, roll by Auto Zone and have them check your code/codes for free. Too many things it can be. Most arent real expensive, unless you are doing them all at once trying to guess what it is. If you have a programmer, you can check the codes yourself, and then check your Haynes manual for the code identifier

THE PROBLEM

I went to autozone and they read the code
"cylinder #4 misfire" so I popped the hood to look at #4. The technician immediately stated he smelled coolant as we followed plug wire #4 to the passenger side closest to the firewall. Come to find that there are 2 coolant hoses that go into the firewall. The short one maybe only 6" goes to a connector on top of the engine and that was leaking coolant from the copper connector (freeze plug) that goes into the intake manifold and was flowing into the plug for cylinder #4. I vacuumed all the coolant out and pulled the plug. I bought and installed a new plug and new plug wires because the wires were original. I poured in a bottle of Bars radiator stop leak into the radiator and that stopped the leak from the freeze plug after letting the engine run for about 20 minutes. The Car runs better than ever now!

Thanks to all who provided suggestions