99-04 projector retrofit

growlinGT

May 18, 2006
San Jose, CA
It was about time I upgraded the headlights on my 2K GT so I started some research on this forum and HIDplanet. I chose to go with theretrofitsource.com for the parts and I'm working with Hella E55 Projectors (3" BiXenon), E46-R shrouds and 4300K bulbs.

So far I have been able to mount the projector to the reflector successfully (or so I believe so far) and paint the housing and shrouds as I did not want to leave them chrome. I did a test run on the headlights in the housing to look for light leakage and other things. I found that when I have the front headlight cover on I tend to have two cutoffs. It also seems like the light is bouncing off the protruding horizontal line on the cover. :shrug:

If I remember correctly, either "san~man" or "mijo-latino" did a similar project. Does anyone know if one or both of those lines need to be sanded out? Could it be just my initial projector mounting facing too low? Any ideas??

BTW, please do not mind the crooked shroud placement for now.

Attachments

• test fit.jpg
    test fit.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 977
  • Sponsors (?)

I looked at some more pictures of retrofitted headlights in a bit more detail and noticed the same two horizontal lines to be present on the cover. This is making me lean towards the possibility of my projector being way off on the vertically.

Are the ridges on the surface of the cover? If so, then you can grind them down flat. It's a lot of work to get the surface perfectly smooth again though.

You'll have to grind the ridges flat with a file, a block with some really low grit sandpaper or, if you're careful, a grinder/sander. You'll have to remove a good bit of material on either side of the ridge too to get a good level surface. Then you have to start working your way up successively finer grades of sand paper until you get the ground down area smooth again and then you'll have to polish it until you get it as clear as glass again. Then you'll want to seal it with some sort of UV protectant because you'll have removed what's left of the factory coating.

If the ridges are on the outside, it will be much easier than if on the inside. I wouldn't even try it if they're on the inside.

For better or worse, I was able to remove the headlight alignment nubs from a pair of lenses this way. The ones where I spent a lot of care getting the surface leveled well, you can't tell they were ever there - the ones where I got tired and said that's good enough, you can still see a little evidence of them if you look closely.

I'm shuddering at the prospect of doing this. You might want to try it on a second pair of covers in case it doesn't work out.

Yes, the ridges are on the surface and on the inside. I was hoping I didn't have to do what you just proposed. Can't believe others didn't have this issue or maybe their projectors were mounted too high in the housing? Need to try the vertical alignment thought as soon as I get home.

Yeah a good way to atleast get a headlight, foglights... in right projection angles? I've used a wall, garage door..? to project lights on to an adjust where needed? Did my foglights once i put '01 cobra bump on? an my headlights now i think about it. They were good though no adjusting. But had to go to local ford parts store an get new plastic clips that go behind the headlights when you lineup the pointed tab on the back of the light to go through in the front of the sidefinder.
Was about as hard discribing what i was needing to computer surfing tech. dude behind the counter. Than it took me to write this post:rlaugh:

Thats not funny:nonono::notnice: