99-04 V6 Windstar Manifold Swap

A quick look produced a 400 dollar bill. Any other alternatives? What about a VCM2? Says it provides all dealer functions. I would be getting one of the cheaper versions obviously. I get that the tuners make full use of actually getting the most out of changes... But I don't have a few hundred sitting around or burning a hole. Kinda destroys the appeal of such an initially cheap mod!

What would happen other than a CEL if I took it out and didn't flash the PCM? Are there ways to trick the system by leaving something plugged in but removing the bulk?

• Sponsors (?)

So I live in Seattle, I have the stupid manifold sitting at my house, but I have no way to turn off the egr in the computer. So it sits.

Is everybody just investing in a tuner to do this? I can't find a shop that is able to do it locally.

Ideas? Others around here?
I kept my egr with the windstar. You need to use the egr mounting bracket from the windstar engine. It sits lower so it'll clear the underside of the intake. I cut and welded my egr tube to make it work. You could also heat the tube cherry red with a torch and bend it. Be cautious, the egr tube is very brittle and breaks easy.

Reactions: 1 user
A quick look produced a 400 dollar bill. Any other alternatives? What about a VCM2? Says it provides all dealer functions. I would be getting one of the cheaper versions obviously. I get that the tuners make full use of actually getting the most out of changes... But I don't have a few hundred sitting around or burning a hole. Kinda destroys the appeal of such an initially cheap mod!

What would happen other than a CEL if I took it out and didn't flash the PCM? Are there ways to trick the system by leaving something plugged in but removing the bulk?
Im not familiar with the VCM2 personally but have had good luck with the handhelds from sct as my local tuner also uses sct regularly.

If you're not worried about a CEL, we deleted the EGR with a plate on the upper swap and plugged the exhaust port. The tube bending trick works great as well. The cel will not be inhibiting performance though. The EEC will automatically bypass/ignore/delete the EGR function and no driveability/performance or A/F/Spark advance control problems should show. Just a cel.

I want to do this but it just seems like a ton of friggin fabrication. A EGR delete may lead to issues down the line. And then you got to buy the fab exact parts and dedicate your time. Seems like a pain in the rear to me. My neighbor has a f-150 intake on his 3.8l and it sounds great, he thinks it gave him 40hp but looks heavy. I heard the f-150 theoretically will last longer compared to the windstars plastic that can hold up heat properly, but theres not enough new edgers with this mod to even prove that.

I want to do this but it just seems like a ton of friggin fabrication. A EGR delete may lead to issues down the line. And then you got to buy the fab exact parts and dedicate your time. Seems like a pain in the rear to me. My neighbor has a f-150 intake on his 3.8l and it sounds great, he thinks it gave him 40hp but looks heavy. I heard the f-150 theoretically will last longer compared to the windstars plastic that can hold up heat properly, but theres not enough new edgers with this mod to even prove that.
The plastics used on the windstar manifold have no problem holding up to heat. The same material is used across the board for modular v8 vehicles like the PI 2v intake manifolds, the 3v mustang/trucks manifolds, and even the oil pans on new powerstrokes are made from the same plastic.
People often worry about boosting through these plastic intakes just like they did with the plastic modular v8 intakes however Ive seen these plastic pieces hold 600+ whp so I genuinely think its a non issue. Plus there is the big weight savings compared to even a stock aluminum upper.