99 cobra owners, teach me

Bez355

Dec 27, 2003
I just got a 99 cobra convert last week and with this being my first stick shift car I cant race it for *****
what should i launch at?
what is power shifting?
any other advice would be great as well.

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

IRS = Hard to Launch. You got to feather the clutch, just practice different RPMs. Just whatever you do, don't hop the wheels in the rear. You got stock 1.2 shafts and "crack".

IMO, if you really want a track car, don't spend any money on the IRS, remove it, find someone with a 99 GT that wants the IRS twistie benefits, and Swap them.

I am doing this soon.

If you want to keep the IRS then you will have to live with the fact that you must feather the clutch out of the hole. Your 60 ft time will be what you need to 1st master. But remember NO WHEEL HOP or one day "crack".

John

Yup, IRS is not a track friendly set up (1/4 mile track that is). Here's the problem:

-You need sticky tires to stop whell hop and lower your 60ft times.
-Sticky tires put stress on the 1/2 shafts and they break.
-Wheel hop comes from tires not gripping, and hop can break your 1/2 shafts.

You can run a set of drag radials on the car, and that will help, but some people have broken 1/2 shafts during their first launch....I did this for 2 years without breaking one, but I was very easy on the car. I finally gave up, and switched to a solid axle (just completed it) so next year should be FUN :nice:

You really have to feather the clutch with the IRS. I revved it up to 2500 and slipped the clutch out. Best 60ft I ever got was a 1.9, my average was a 2.1 though. Once I added the Vortech...forget it.

Powershifting is where you don't let your foot off the gas between shifts. You have to shift FAST before your revs climb up and hit the rev limiter. Personally, this isn't worth it in my book. I'll sacrifice a few tenths in order to keep the tranny working for awhile.

Have fun with the car and good luck!

These guys already covered it. With the IRS, you have to feather the clutch, and it takes practice to feather the clutch, yet still get a good launch. After about a year, I am finally able to feather the clutch and get a good hard launch. Practice, practice, practice. I'm one of the few who will be keeping the IRS, because I just cruise most of the time and dragrace only a handful of times a year.....so my plan is to purchase some stronger halfshafts ('03 Cobra halfshafts) just in case. SINCE THIS IS YOUR FIRST STICK CAR, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE THE CAR FIRST, BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO TEST IT'S LIMITS. These cars demand a certain amount of respect from a novice. Be careful. Good luck!!!

Bez355 said:
I just got a 99 cobra convert last week and with this being my first stick shift car I cant race it for *****
what should i launch at?
what is power shifting?
any other advice would be great as well.

thanks

Check out TXsnakecharmers website for good info on the 99 Cobras, you can visit mine as well since I have some info as well (not as good as TX's :hail2: ).

Naz Web Site

Ask the right questions and you will get the right answers. There are a bunch of guys who know what they talk about, some of them....well....not so much.

Welcome to the Mustang World buddy and bring on the mods!

Naz

PS. 99svtaddict,

Hey brother sorry about the halfshafts, I placed an order for the "Driveshaft Shop" Stage II complete HS's. I decided to keep the IRS and just go with 4.30s and the HD HSs.

No HF.......I hope :nice:

Naz