99 mustang 3.8 fuel system conversion

Bsharp21

Jun 12, 2019
michigan
I have a 1999 mustang with a 3.8l v6 and i am currently restoring the entire car. while taking the fuel tank out the fuel pressure regulator valve broke and i cannot find a replacement part anywhere. after going through some forumns ive found that the only solutions are to either garbage pick a tank or set up a return style fuel system. i would just like some more information on this conversion so i can make a more educated decision on which path i should take here.

• Sponsors (?)

Just wondering. Does this car have to pass an ODB2 inspection in your area?

Have you also searched car-part.com for a replacement gas tank from a salvage yard car. Note, you don't have to swap the entire gas tank. The salvage yard unit could be raided for parts to get your tank back into action.

No it does not. im gonna have to hit the junk yard because the fuel pressure regulator for 99+ is in the tank because it is a returnless fuel system, and apparantly this part is not in production anymore not even aftermarket. i appreciate the heads up on the website ive actually found several i can refurbish myself and make work

the fuel pressure regulator for 99+ is in the tank because it is a returnless fuel system, and apparantly this part is not in production anymore not even aftermarket.
The fuel pressure regulator (FRPS) for the 1999-2004 is located on the fuel rail.

Here's an example replacement

NTK FC0011

The part at the top of the gas tank is a liquid/vapor separator. The purpose is to keep liquid gas out of the vapor management and charcoal canister. If liquid gas gets into the charcoal canister it will turn the granular carbon to jelly thus blocking the vapor flow.

For the 1999-2004 Mustang there is no pressure inside the gas tank ever. Why? Because the fuel tank is vented through the charcoal canister. So the pressure inside the gas tank is always close to atmospheric. Except during EVAP purge and testing.

But there is a fuel tank pressure sensor that is used during EVAP purge. A replacement fuel tank pressure sensor is hard to find.

Last edited: