99 V6 vs GT

TNdave

Aug 24, 2020
Knoxville
Hey guys, I've been around here for over a decade and 6 mustangs but I forgot my username so I created a new one. Just a quick question. I'm thinking about getting a 99 V6 ($500) with a blown engine and swapping I. A 6.0LS I have. I know the cross member is different in the v6 and obviously the rear end. What other differences are there? Structural wise more than anything bc I have a stand alone ECU. Is the suspension the same or will GT aftermarket parts work on the v6 chasis? (sp)
Thanks in advance, glad to be getting back to the mustang world even if it's going to be a half breed.

• Sponsors (?)

If you were to strip the chassis down to a bare shell, they are the same body. You can put V8 suspension parts on the V6 body. In stock configuration, the V6 would use different rate springs/shocks/struts/sway bars.

Rear is different obviously, the engine k-member is the same (ford redesigned in 1996 so each engine just uses different mounts).

One major difference is the brake system booster. The actual brakes are the same, but the V6 uses a vacuum booster while the V8 uses hydroboost for clearance with the large engine. I do not know how much clearance an LS motor needs, but something you want to look into as changing from the vac booster to hydroboost will require a number of parts (booster, lines, MC, pedal assembly) and cost. If the vac booster will clear the LS, then not an issue.

I keep with the V6 (3.H8) myself. I like the workhorses over the play toys. I do not knock a LS swap at all and if it is your thing, do a good progress thread where things are documented along the with pictures and explanations of what you are doing and why it needs to be done. This way the next guy can reference what you have accomplished and maybe avoid some of the setbacks that you overcome.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely post a build thread. I've done swaps before but not this specific one. Part of the fun to me is trying something I haven't done before. Going to try and see how cheap I can keep it too. (kinda) haha. And just to make sure I'm tracking, the k member is the same from 96 - 04 there are just different mounts for the v6 vs v8?

Correct. The K-members were different on the 94-95 cars, but in 1996-04, Ford revised the K-member to only use ONE k-member for both the V6 and V8 model. The engine mounts differ

What a constructive post. Thank you for that.

Just to entertain you, my ALL Ford car has RAPED countless LS cars and will do so in the future. I always carry a tube of KY for them
I am sorry to hear about your Felonious Ford, I do believe there are support groups for that..........:D

We as Ford Owners are better than just measuring our Gender.... leave that to the Chevrolet crowd

Last edited:
Putting on the Moderator hat here.....

This isn't Facebook. If you don't agree with his decision to put an LS engine in the car, don't reply. Simple as that. But attacks will not be tolerated. Either post something to help the OP, or move on. Consider this a warning....

Reactions: 1 user
What a constructive post.

Yes.... Isn't it though. It's at least as useful to this thread as:

Take your LS and :leghump: off
What a constructive post. Thank you for that.

Just to entertain you, my ALL Ford car has RAPED countless LS cars and will do so in the future. I always carry a tube of KY for them
Take your LS :poo: elsewhere

If you have nothing constructive to ad then you should move on to the next thread.

I looked up the acronym LS and out of 139 it seemed that the only applicable ones are loud speaker, lighting system, or my favorite....the light sword. Hoping for the latter, be so cool.