A/C Stopped Blowing Cold, All Fuses Good; Already Searched.

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
I've already searched and I haven't found anything specific to this. Everyone else has an issue of losing their HP w/ A/C on, losing all air/heater/blower, but this is different, so please helppppppp.

I was going down the highway and my A/C just went hot. The blower was still blowing fine. I checked all the fuses under the hood, but not in the passenger compartment yet. Is the fuse in the passenger compartment?

I haven't been able to check yet if the clutch engages or not.

A) How can I check to make sure I have the proper amount of freon?
B) Are there common problems with A/C just dying?
C) What are the chances that I have a bad compressor?

I'll get more info on the clutch as soon as I can find someone to turn the A/C on while I'm over the engine compartment. Thanks, and sorry for the incomplete post.

• Sponsors (?)

nwapache said:
you can get an a/c recharge kit down at the autoparts store for around 30-40 bucks I think. I just saw them at autozone. It would be your cheapest diagnostic, as it comes with a pressure gauge

+1

They sell kits as mentioned and also there are bottles with a hose and pressure gauge attached.

I googled real quick and here's a link to just give you an idea of what we're talking about (if you don't know) ... click me

You can get them at any auto parts store or places like wal-mart, etc..

2nd on the switch. Generally, if the AC just suddenly stops blowing cold, it isn't low on freeon or you would have noticed the huge white cloud of freeon behind you with a hissing sound under the hood. Been there, done that. :( More likely, you would feel the compressor cycling a lot and a poor cooling ability when low on freeon

That switch is located on the little canister looking thing (condensor). If you want to test it, you can pull the electical plug off, and short it with a paperclip or something. If the compressor runs when shorted, then either the system is too low on freeon to cycle, or the switch is bad. However, only do that for a short test and no more. There is a reason that is a switch and not running all the time.
I beleive there is also a switch on the high pressure side, but I don't know much about it, or testing it. just FYI.

I had the same thing happen to me, I was driving home in the rain and my ac was blowing warm all of a sudden, I turned it off for a while then when I turned it back on, all was good. So I dunno what the problem was, but everything is ok now. Hope you get that fig out.

bhuff30 said:
2nd on the switch. Generally, if the AC just suddenly stops blowing cold, it isn't low on freeon or you would have noticed the huge white cloud of freeon behind you with a hissing sound under the hood. Been there, done that. :( More likely, you would feel the compressor cycling a lot and a poor cooling ability when low on freeon

That switch is located on the little canister looking thing (condensor). If you want to test it, you can pull the electical plug off, and short it with a paperclip or something. If the compressor runs when shorted, then either the system is too low on freeon to cycle, or the switch is bad. However, only do that for a short test and no more. There is a reason that is a switch and not running all the time.
I beleive there is also a switch on the high pressure side, but I don't know much about it, or testing it. just FYI.

the reason there is a cycling switch is to keep evap core temps over freezing.. if it goes below freezing then you might freeze up the evap core and you will no get any air flow thru it.

Well, I shorted the electrical plug out on the cycling switch, and the A/C started to blow cold. I am going to get a new switch to see if that helps. I'm glad that there is a Stangnet that will provide me auto advice for the price of $0.00. THANKS GUYS!

topless98gt said:
Well, I shorted the electrical plug out on the cycling switch, and the A/C started to blow cold. I am going to get a new switch to see if that helps. I'm glad that there is a Stangnet that will provide me auto advice for the price of $0.00. THANKS GUYS!
who said this is free?

topless98gt said:
The switch made it work again. Thanks again guys!

My car is doing the exact same thing and this Atlanta heat ain't no joke! Did you buy a new switch and if so did you get it from Ford? and how much? I am assuming that the switch is the piece that the harness(plug) connects to... Let me know asap so that I can consistantly stay cool.

Thanks

giddiupstang said:
My car is doing the exact same thing and this Atlanta heat ain't no joke! Did you buy a new switch and if so did you get it from Ford? and how much? I am assuming that the switch is the piece that the harness(plug) connects to... Let me know asap so that I can consistantly stay cool.

Thanks
Bought a new switch, yes, but from AutoZone. It was $10.99. Yes, the switch plugs into the harness. I also replied to your PM. Good luck.