A Change to my Transmission

While I still fumble around with my crank sensor bolt (just made it worse over the weekend), I have decided to wreck my life up some more with the transmission.

Can I switch the wires on my Overdrive Button to have it employed *ONLY* when I push the button in/on?

Example: We can change wires around for fog light mods

Can I do the same for the transmission Overdrive?

Thank-you

PS I'm taking a couple days off from the crank sensor bolt (it's really getting my feathers ruffled)

• Sponsors (?)

While I still fumble around with my crank sensor bolt (just made it worse over the weekend), I have decided to wreck my life up some more with the transmission.

Can I switch the wires on my Overdrive Button to have it employed *ONLY* when I push the button in/on?

Example: We can change wires around for fog light mods

Can I do the same for the transmission Overdrive?

Thank-you

PS I'm taking a couple days off from the crank sensor bolt (it's really getting my feathers ruffled)
That would be nice. I only use OD on the freeway. Tranny will last longer without all that locking/unlocking driving around town.

Guys you are WAAAAY over thinking this. Here is how you achieve exactly what you are asking for...

Scenario: You are going to go for a drive, here is what you do:

Step 1 - start the car
Step 2 - push the OD lock out button

Now you don't of OD in town.

Step 3 - put the car in gear and drive

When you hit the freeway:

Step 4 - push the OD lock out button again to re-engage OD

Then later when you get off the freeway:

Step 5 - push the OD lock out button again to not have OD

The two main differences between what I just proposed and what you are asking for is...

- you will need to push OD lock out before you start driving (actually you could wait until after you are moving)
- the second and more important difference is you don't need to re-engineer your cars electrical system

Sometimes the fix is not mechanical or electrical, its with the gray matter of the driver.

Here is another thing, some OD lock out buttons hold the lock out position. What do I mean ... when you push lock out the button clicks and stays in a lower position. Then with you disengage it, it pops back up (my F150 does this if I recall). If your Mustang has the same kind of switch, just leave it disengaged when you turn off the car and it will be disengaged when you start it. I haven't tested this theory, but otherwise, just do the steps above.

Last edited:
Guys you are WAAAAY over thinking this. Here is how you achieve exactly what you are asking for...

Scenario: You are going to go for a drive, here is what you do:

Step 1 - start the car
Step 2 - push the OD lock out button

Now you don't of OD in town.

Step 3 - put the car in gear and drive

When you hit the freeway:

Step 4 - push the OD lock out button again to re-engage OD

Then later when you get off the freeway:

Step 5 - push the OD lock out button again to not have OD

The two main differences between what I just proposed and what you are asking for is...

- you will need to push OD lock out before you start driving (actually you could wait until after you are moving)
- the second and more important difference is you don't need to re-engineer your cars electrical system

Sometimes the fix is not mechanical or electrical, its with the gray matter of the driver.

Here is another thing, some OD lock out buttons hold the lock out position. What do I mean ... when you push lock out the button clicks and stays in a lower position. Then with you disengage it, it pops back up (my F150 does this if I recall). If your Mustang has the same kind of switch, just leave it disengaged when you turn off the car and it will be disengaged when you start it. I haven't tested this theory, but otherwise, just do the steps above.
I click it off at the start of the trip, click on on freeway, hit traffic button off, traffic clears button on,off the freeway button off. Stop for gas, button off again. Back on freeway , button on and on and on.........

If you are wanting to increase your gas mileage because fuel prices have gone up, you definitely want to have the car in OD as much as possible. The OD gearing is for better fuel economy on the freeway, and if the cars computer is sensing that even around town it is time to put it into OD (based on throttle position, load on the engine, speed, etc), it is doing so to enable your car to get better mileage by cruising at a lower RPM around town.

Trying to disable your OD for your around town driving will make your mileage get worse.

Reactions: 1 user

No. it doesn't work that way. the switch itself doesn't indicate a mode. It sends a signal to the ECU to change the mode.

Really what you want to do is devise a devise that will "activate" the switch once when you start the car. Not sure it's worth the effort