A little secret....how I cleaned my headlights

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
they were really yellow when I bought the car so I took them out and buffed them with the bench grinder it worked ok but not that good....well they were looking a little dirty again so I tried some "FAST ORANGE" with pummice (hand cleaner) I wetted the lights and rubed the fast orange on for a while hosed it off and let them dry. Then I waxed them and looky how clean they look....then I did the same to my Dad's 98 Neon lol

2240366_104_full.jpg

2240366_116_full.jpg

I did buy a 6pc clear set but just havent changed them yet....dont really need to now lol

• Sponsors (?)

Im sure they were really yellow, but honestly they still dont look too good, I mean they look good but know where near new. Mine are like 6 months old and they still look brand new, got them from 50resto, just the normal oem kit, id instal the kit if you have it. One of the best things I could have ever done was buy new headlights, ive never been more satisfied with a purchase.

img2688copy0rn.jpg

Attachments

• img2688copy0rn.jpg
    img2688copy0rn.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 101
lol ass

but yea for me they did, my lights before were JUNK they were REALLY yellow and parking light was shattered, and the driver side headlight didnt even work, I went with sylvinna or something like that bulbs, the expensive ones, nice bright white color.

if you want i can get some pics for you tomorrow at night or something

yea sure ill get some tomorrow, do you have aim? if you do im me at the1nicko and remind me to get some pics, if not ill just try to remember

I need new headlights as well, but what I did to clean my existing HL's up was I took the Mothers Clay bar kit and gave it the same treatment I give the paint on my car but with a little more elbow grease. The majority of the yellowing came off and then I waxed it and it looks clean. Don't get me wrong, I NEED new headlights, but it'll do for now.

I toke some sand paper to mine and after sanding them I used soapy water to clean them and after they dry I use some mothers polish looks alot better but Im still going to get some smoke head lights

You know once when I was moving out of a house I had to clean it up to get my deposit back, and I ran out of soap scum cleaner(which didnt work anyway). I didnt know what to do because I still had the shower door left to clean. So I went out to my garage and started fumbling through my automotive cleaners and I came across a bottle of naval jelly, which is supposibly suppose to eat rust. I remembered that It was lousy for rust, but I tried it anyway and took the soap scum right off. The door was spotless. I CANT BELIEVE IT WORKED. So I was thinking if someone had a can of the naval jelly lying around they might try it on their headlights to see if it would make them clear again. Just a thought. :shrug:

be careful with navel jelly. It is very acidic. I used some 3M polishing compound which is used to buff out scratches in car paint on the headlights. Stuff is great... also took out the oxidation in my paint. My friend worked at a body shop and gave me some to try.
Kevin

iwashmycar said:
ya...that is true...99 bucks is still a lot of money for junk. I didnt even look to see if they might be Ford..

The price for Real Ford ones from PPI isnt much more than the Ebay Repops, I hate to see anyone get stuck with something they need to rig up or replace a year after they buy it.