A Plug Of Last Resort

603mustangs

Advanced Member
Sep 19, 2016
New Hampshire
Yesterday was the day I had to drive my dad's 86 GT back to his house. It's about 100 miles away, so I checked the oil before the drive and it was black, black black. Because my tools were tossed all over by she who won't be named, and it's pretty cold, I went to Jiffy Lube. The kid comes out and says he can't change oil because I have a "plug of last resort" lol a what? "It's a cork with a bolt thru it and a washer with a wing nut". Can't wait to see this, new pan already on the way from RockAuto. I'll post pics of this ingenious device when I get to it.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

It may be a toggle bolt plug. I had a kid at a jiffy lube strip the aluminum threads out of an old dd and the put one in... then told me. Needless to say I used no more lube shops, and I used that plug until I sold the car. It looked like a regular ol plug but had a toggle nut like you'd use in sheetrock stuck in the pan. As long as you didn't un thread the plug bolt all the way, it went back in and sealed up fine. I considered fixing it, but meh... it worked for 100k. What's the point?

Reactions: 1 user