A9L Computer?

• Sponsors (?)

All the Mass Air computers from 89-93 are interchangeable with a few exceptions. Just be sure you use the MAF from the same model and year car. You can also use an auto computer in a manual. The odd duck is the 93 Cobra computer, labled X3Z which is interally calibrated for 24 lb injectors. Try and avoid it if you can.

All the following are mass air unless they say Speed Density

8LD - MANUAL 88 5.0L Mustang Speed Density
8LF - Auto 88 5.0L Mustang Speed Density
A9L - 89-93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd
A3M - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd
A3M1 - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd
X3Z - 93 5.0L Cobra 5-spd
A9P - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
A9S - 88-93 5.0L Mustang California
C3W - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
DA1 - 87 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Speed Density
J4J1 - 94-95 5.0L SVT Cobra 5-spd
T4M0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Vert 5-spd
U4P0 - 94-95 5.0L GT Auto
W4H0 - 94-95 5.0L GT
ZA0 - 95 Cobra R
D9S - Lincoln LSC

What computer would you recommend? We are doing a complete EFI conversion on an old 302 block in a 1965 Ford F100 pickup with c4 automatic tranny. We got the upper and lower intake,throttle body, fuel rails, injectors, all top end sensors from a 95 F150 truck with 5.0L. Going to buy an aftermarket harness. Just need a computer.

The Cobra MAF is not where the injector calibration is done. Using a Cobra MAF with 24 lb injectors will not work well unless you also use the Cobra computer..

Only aftermarket MAF’s are calibrated to the injector size. The injector size on all Ford computers is part of the computer program. Since it is not easy or cheap to change the computer program, the aftermarket MAF manufactures modify the MAF to lie to the computer. The MAF modification tricks the computer into changing the amount of fuel the injectors get.

All the Ford OEM MAF’s are calibrated to match the computer. Do not swap MAF sensors between different model computers or different types of housings. If you do, you are sure to be out of calibration
The only MAF that is a one for one swap for a 93 and earlier 5.0 Mustang is the 94-95 Mustang MAF.

The MAF body and sensor are designed to match each other. Therefore you can't swap sensors between different part number MAF bodies and maintain proper calibration. The assembly is designed to match the computer’s internal program, and swapping a different MAF can upset the computer's calibration. In other words, your monster MAF probably won't match the calibration of your 5.0 Mustang computer.

so what your saying is: I basically have 3 options.

1) use a cobra computer with the cobra MAF and 24 lb injectors.
2) use a 94-95 MAF with A9L computer and stock injectors.
3) use an aftermarket MAF with A9L and 24 lb injectors.

Are stock injectors 19lb?

The only mods the motor is getting are 1.6 rr and b-303 cam. Has shorty headers, throttle body, 190 pump, exhaust, and a little manifold port work. Do I need bigger injectors and MAF?

Thanks! A buddy of mine has a 95 MAF from his GT that he is going to sell me. The project should hopefully be drivable by this spring. In primer anyways...but it will be rollin on 18x10, 18x9 bullitts and SLAMMED!!!