A9L Differences

Black1987

my wife Bedazzled my input shaft
15 Year Member
Jan 9, 2011
NC
I recently picked up a spare A9L and tested it my car before I was going to post it for sale.

However, when doing a test run in my car it felt noticeably (seat of the pants feel) quicker. I thought i was crazy but I let my wife blind test both computers and it was the same result. Also checked against an A3M i had as well.

Were there variation in the tune year to year for emissions? I know the auto computers had a little hef in the tune (supposedly)

Im almost curious enough to pay yo try all 3 on a dyno if the tuner will accommodate. Yes

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of any differences between A9L to A9L... The differences between auto and manual were pretty minimal, and from what I remember in load/rpm ranges that only the autos would use.

What is the rest of the setup?

I've never heard of any differences between A9L to A9L... The differences between auto and manual were pretty minimal, and from what I remember in load/rpm ranges that only the autos would use.

What is the rest of the setup?
Stock-
Cobra intake, 75mm TB, CAI, 24lbs Ford inj, Pro M 75mm maf.
JY Explorer shortblock, milled/ported JY E7s local shop
Cam, assume stock
TKO 500, 373s

Dyno it back to back. Or, take it to the track and watch trap speeds. Or, buy a performance meter and test it. Or, ignore all of that and just run the one you like more. Even if it's not real, perceived reality is still valuable.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Dyno it back to back. Or, take it to the track and watch trap speeds. Or, buy a performance meter and test it. Or, ignore all of that and just run the one you like more. Even if it's not real, perceived reality is still valuable.
I’ll probably run the new one. Just was kind of a mmm moment. We always hear someones unicorn mustang that traps slightly higher or hooks differently than the herd. Not saying this is case but couldn’t find any information of A9L vs A9L least on my end.

Take this with a grain of salt, as it's probably a bunch of speculation, but I've read there were differences in the programming in the computers that made them more conservative over time. The programming in the 93 Cobra was supposed pretty tame. I dunno. Other people say that the tuning is the same. This guy says he looked at the fuel and timing tables that had no difference and there's only a small difference otherwise and seems to know what he's talking about:

I don't know what that fuel multiplier does, but it sounds like on acceleration it would add less fuel. I suppose a 2% leaner on the A9L can make a small difference. I don't think the seat of the pant would pick that up. That'd be like running 13.1 vs. 12.8 AFR.

I suppose it's also possible that something is wrong with one, and not the other.

Reactions: 1 user