AC causes car to over heat

• Sponsors (?)

I agree with General karthief, your fan and shroud look fine. The fan needs to be in the cylinder section of the shroud. If it is not it will not pull air. Yours is fine.

Looking at the pics, how old is the rad and how thick is the core?

I would get a very small screwdriver or thin putty knife and try to clear that paint out of your condenser.

Another thing to check if your A/C is charged enough, when car is idling with A/C on Max does the clutch stay engaged for long periods of time. If not (it cycles on/off often) you likely are low on refrigerant. I just did this on my truck. It was same thing, cooler when moving and less cool when stopped. I added a 9oz can of refrigerant to my truck and now will blow cold (will get down to 6 degrees Celcius out vents).

Last edited:
I bet you have two problems
#1 ac low on feon
#2 you may or may not have an overheating problem, you need to put a mechanical temp gauge on it to see actual temp numbers, you can zip tie it to the wiper arm temporarily.
It would not be unusual for the engine temp to get to 210-215 sitting still with ac on.
And I'm betting you have under drive pulleys too.

So i am on my second fan clutch,,i don't know the exact temp , my cheap temp gauge says its 210 when i point it at the thermostat housing. And the clutch is not engaging. Possible 2 new clutches are bad? Or maybe the water isn't circulating through the radiator at idle fast enough?

Just went through this with my car, even though I don't have AC, it would run really hot while idling.

Even though I had a new fan clutch on, it was new bad. Details in the thread what brand I was running and where I got a good one.

I think 220* sitting still with the ac on would not be unusual, point the temp gun at the bottom of the radiator near the lower hose.
Temp measured at metal parts will be a few degrees higher than coolant temp. I've used a meat thermometer between the shroud and the radiator.